5 exhibits at CSU to see in wake of finals week

In the whirlwind of end-of-semester duties engulfing the student body, a visit to the various exhibits across campus could provide a little haven from stress and an appreciation for art. 

CSU features museums exhibiting faculty, student and outside artists’ work with many exhibits staying around until mid-January. Here are five current exhibitions happening on campus. 

1. “Self-Identity” Fall Exhibition, Nov. 30

The Art Lab in Old Town, Nov. 30, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.

CSU students from various majors will be featured at the Art Lab in Old Town. Each artist has created a piece that is a reflection of themselves, or their “Self-Identity.”

“My work with pottery consists of self-reflections through texture and the definition of what it means for the hand to meet the clay,” said Lauren Briese, a CSU liberal arts student and exhibitor ,in a statement. “Clay can imprint anything and ‘anyone’ it desires.”

This family friendly event will have refeshments, kids activities and a silent auction benefitting Realities for Children, an organization providing support for Northern Colorado children who have experienced abuse. 

2. “Women’s Work”, Shown until Dec. 14

Gregory Allicar Museum, 1400 Remington St.
Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday open until 7:30 p.m.

This exhibit showcases the “role of 21st century female artists in Southeast Africa as advocates of economic, social, and cultural sustainability,” according to the Gregory Allicar Museum website. “Women’s work,” including beadwork, pottery and mural paintings, showcases the talent of seven Kenyan and South African artists and explores art production from past to present. 

3.  “Crossing Boundraies: A Reflection of Semester at Sea,” Shown until Dec. 14

Gregory Allicar Museum

If you want to feel some wanderlust, “Crossing Boundraies” lets you live vicariously through the experiences a semester abroad can bring.

Faculty from across campus came together to curate pieces “that peak to the diverse range of pedagogical approaches and fields of study at the University,” according to the Gregory Allicar Museum website. This fall installtion invited past “voyagers” to choose artworks that best interpreted their unique Semester at Sea experiences and how it relates to global learning. 

4. The Student Art Exhibition, shown until February 9, 2019

Curfman Gallery , Lory Student Center 
Tuesday and Thursday, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Monday and Wednesday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. 
Friday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. 

You might be surprised at all the ways CSU students turn ideas into living art. The Student Art Exhibiton is the longest running annual event in the Lory Student Center Arts Program, and gives students a chance to showcase their work in a contemporary gallery and even sell a few pieces.

This gallery, juried by Bobbi Walker of Denver’s Walker Fine Art, is filled with paintings, drawings, prints, photography, sculptures and mixed media projects that you can check out on your frequent walks through the LSC. 

5. “Dior’s ‘New Look’ in the Everyday American Closet”

Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising, University Center of the Arts-216 E. Lake Street
Monday through Friday 11 a.m.- 5 p.m.

This one is for the fashion geeks. The Richard Blackwell Gallery at the UCA will be showcasing the inspiration of French designer Christian Dior’s “New Look” style release of 1947 through CSU fashion design students’ creation. These pieces are inspired by the iconic silouettes made by Dior himself. Although this exhibit has no Dior pieces, it compliments the Denver Art Museum’s upcoming exhibit “Dior: From Paris to the World,” which is showing until March 3, 2019.

Arts and Culture Director Sarah Ehrlich can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @sarahehrlich96.