Flow Expo: celebration of Fort Collins’ most colorful and fearless performers

Spectra Circus Entertainment put on a Flow Expo at the Colorado Room on Sept. 23 in Fort Collins, Colo.—

The Flow Expo showcased 17 performers with over 60 acts. The performances ranged from aerial silks, to LED hula-hooping and poi. It also included various fire flow acts. Flow art is the intersection of a variety of movement-based disciplines including dance, juggling, fire-spinning, and object manipulation. 

• Misty Moon dances with fire fans. “I have always loved music and dancing,” said Moon. “I slipped a disc in my back 8 years ago and as part of decompression therapy I started hula-hooping in order to strengthen my core. I began to feel much better with time. After that, I become obsessed with learning different flow arts. I started dancing with fire fans a year-and-a-half ago. I love performing because it is a way to share my passion with the world around me, and it literally saved my life.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Ana Cruz dances with her hula-hoop. “I love the self-expression that flow arts provide,” said Cruz. “I’ve been doing flow arts for 4 years. I absolutely love the physical and mental release it provides me.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Jes Schultz does an inverted crochet hang on aerial silks. “I have been dancing for 24 years,” said Schultz. “In 2009 I found aerial dance. Aerial dance is a logical way to take my athleticism and artistic exploration to the next level.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Malachai Taylor performs with his fire dragon staff at the Flow Expo. “I have been spinning poi for 4 years,” said Taylor. “I just picked up the dragon staff 6 months ago. I practice daily in my free time.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Haelie Shaw hula-hoops at the Flow Expo on Sept. 22 in Fort Collins, Colo.— Shaw has been hula hooping for two years. “It is my escape,” said Shaw. “Once I’m in my flow I forget about time and space and it is just me and my hoop. It’s truly my Zen.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Drake Bruner does a scorpion pose on aerial silks. Bruner is a senior at CSU and studies ecosystem science and sustainability. Bruner has been practicing aerial silks for 4 years. “I love just being able to fly, it is such an uplifting feeling,” said Bruner. “I love the family dynamic we have in the community. Every meeting or gig we get to see each other and it is such a welcoming environment. At the end of the day the main goal is to have fun.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Corinne “CoCo” Watson is the owner of Spectra Circus Entertainment and put on the Flow Expo. “Performing and producing is what Spectra Circus Entertainment is all about,” said Coco. “I love seeing the audience’s reactions the most,” said Coco. “Practicing and perfecting, costumes, make-up, and choosing the music is all a part of the process. It brings me a lot of joy to be able to entertain people. My end goal is to evolve into a company like Cirque du Solei.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Madison McBurney hula-hoops with 4 hoops. “I have been hooping for 6.5 years,” said McBurney. “My favorite part of hooping is how it makes my body and mind feel. Learning new tricks and skills makes me feel good about myself and it’s also a great workout.” McBurney was part of the award-winning Hoop Troupe, The Hustletown Hoopers who won a hoopie award from hooping.com in 2017. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Ana Cruz dances with fire palms while wearing her fire crown. “I love flow arts because I have found a chosen family within the community,” said Cruz. “Everyone I have met along this journey has been welcoming and inspiring.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Aaron Lee spins LED poi. Lee has been spinning poi for 7 years. “I am a completely self-taught,” said Lee. “I recently moved to Fort Collins because there are people who juggle and spin poi together. Community is really important for flow artists and I hope to help grow the community out here.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Stephanie Morphet twirls a lycopodium cane. Morphet is a CSU alumna, and received her doctoral degree in molecular biology in summer of 2018. “I have been using lycopodium powder for performances for about a year,” said Morphet. “I was introduced to it while I was teaching biology at CSU. Lycopodium powder are the spores of mosses. I love spinning fire because it is such a naturally beautiful medium.” Recently Morphet toured professionally with Garden Brothers Circus, the oldest traditional circus in the United States. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)