Odell Brewery collaborates with Silver Grill for local holiday tradition

Growlers with cinnamon roles in front of them. (Photo courtesy of Silver Grill Cafe)

Every year, Odell Brewing Company and the Silver Grill Cafe collaborates to make a cinnamon bun inspired brown ale called CinnsationAle. The beer has become a sweet local tradition. 

Silver Grill Cafe co-owner Heather Beckman said the collaboration started six years ago.  

“I truly think it’s more of a collaboration thing, a local thing,” Heather Beckman said.“I don’t think they see any extra income coming in from CinnsationAle. We’re just two local businesses working together and kind of coming up with a fun fall event.”

Silver Grill Cafe co-owner Ian Beckman said it’s not a big financial boom for either establishment, but the marketing is nice, and they look forward to the release party every year.

“It’s just good marketing, and it’s a good kind of feel good oppurtunity for two local businesses,” Ian Beckman said. “It’s started to become almost a traditional holiday event for us. It’s kind of the start of the holidays for us. It’s a good time for a fall beer to come out.”

Colorado State University senior and Odell Brewing Company employee Kelsey Withrow echoed that sentiment, saying that the brown ale pairs well for a family-oriented season.

Collaborators putting cinnamon rolls into brew
The Silver Grill and Doug Odell work on the brew in 2012. (Photo courtesy of Heather Beckley)

“I think right up until Christmas would be the best time (to drink it),” Withrow said. “That’s when you can get together with your family and enjoy it. You can celebrate the holiday season and really enjoy it when it’s at its peak.”

Christmas may be too late though, according to the Beckman’s.

“The last couple of years it’s been gone by early December,” Heather Beckman said. “It used to last through January.”

Ian Beckman said the beer is best paired with a savory meal like hash browns, eggs benedict or chicken fried steak.

“More than anything, it’s just a really good beer,” Ian Beckman said. “I think it pairs well with anything off the menu.”

Heather Beckman makes eight gallons of cinnamon caramel syrup to go in the brewing process and an unknown amount of cinnamon rolls. 

“I don’t know how many they eat, and how many end up in the beer, but I always bring them 30 or so cinnamon rolls,” Heather Beckman said.

The beer will make its official annual release today at Odell Brewery Company. The release party will be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and feature free cinnamon rolls from the Silver Grill. 

“Every single year it’s packed,” Heather Beckman said. “They go flying.”

Collegian Reporter Mack Beaulieu can be reached online at entertainment@collegian.com or on twitter @Macknz_James. 

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated Heather and Ian Beckman’s last name was Beckley.