Flower Power Botanicals in Fort Collins Celebrates ‘420’ all April with these amazing Deals & Promotions:

In Colorado, April is always the month to celebrate, especially if you are a medical and recreational marijuana dispensary in Fort Collins. On...

Uncertainty rises amidst Nintendo’s Switch launch

The Switch is officially here and the console has already been met with extreme levels of hype and skepticism.

NintendoSwitchLogo.svg.png
Photo courtesy of wikipedia.org

At a retail price of 299 dollars, the system comes with the portable tablet, dock for a TV and the revolutionary controller called a “Joy Con.”

Players get everything they need to get the Switch up and running, except for a game.

The biggest title available upon launch is the highly anticipated “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” which will be an additional 60 dollars. There is currently no bundle available that includes the system with the game, but that may change around the holiday season.

It should be noted that “Breath of the Wild” will also be released for Wii U, Nintendo’s last generation system.

Besides “Breath of the Wild,” there are only three new games that will be available: “1 2 Switch,” “Snipperclips” and “Bomberman R.”

While these are three games that are developed by third-party developers (non-Nintendo), these titles seem underwhelming compared to “Zelda.”

With such an anticipated first-party game title being available for both systems, it is not a stretch to think that this may inhibit Wii U players from jumping on to the new system if they can just play it on their current system.

Here Nintendo seems to be impeding its own market from adopting its next system. Whether “Zelda” being available for both systems will help sales remains to be seen.

It is one of Nintendo’s more baffling moves amidst the launch of the Switch and it is beginning to raise more skepticism among the video game community.

“One thing I’m nervous for is that people were this excited for the Wii when it came out and it turned out to be very gimmicky,” said sophomore Drew Santos.

Of course, the Wii debuted with major commercial success in 2006, launching with major heavy hitting first party titles, yet was unable to cultivate much longevity with third-party developers.

Another disheartening fact when it comes content is that many of the console’s online capabilities will not be available.

“Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch,” said Nintendo in a press release. “We will share more information in the future.”

It appears anyone who was hoping to download classic Nintendo games in hopes of easing the time between “Zelda” and the holiday release of “Super Mario Odyssey” will be very disappointed.

As of right now there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Nintendo, especially post-NES Classic launch when Nintendo offered a 60 dollar plug-and-play version of the Nintendo Entertainment system that was preloaded with 30 games.

According to a statement made by Reggie Fils-Aime, president and CEO of Nintendo of America, “we thought that the consumer that already had a Wii or Wii U and had purchased those games once or twice already, we didn’t think they’d buy the NES classic.”

It is here that Nintendo seems to not understand how effective classic games are in the market and launching the Switch without this feature seems like a major misjudgment.

It is unclear if the Switch can avoid the fate of the Wii and the Wii U, but Nintendo’s moves hardly suggest anything has improved.

“Before I buy a Switch, I’m going to wait to see the announcement for the Xbox Scorpio before I shell out money for another console,” Santos said.