The Nth Power performs intimate show at Hodi’s Half Note

The Nth Power took the stage at Hodi’s Halfnote Saturday to play a soulful and intimate set for the Fort Collins crowd.

The Brooklyn-based band is touring across the midwest and down the east coast this fall in promotion of their newly released live album “To Be Free,” available in stores Nov. 11.

The crowd at Hodi’s, though small, was an excited and carefree assembly of people that had limited familiarity with the Nth Power.

“I looked them up online and thought ‘Hey, these guys are pretty good!’” said Chris Taylor, a Fort Collins resident. “I had never really heard of them before.”

The Nth Power at Hodi's Halfnote
The Nth Power at Hodi’s Halfnote Photo credit: Max Sundberg

Others, like Mike Lohman and his girlfriend, were more acquainted with the band.

“We drove up from (Colorado) Springs to see them,” Lohman said. “We saw them before at Cervantes in Denver. It was fantastic.”

The pair were excited to finally see the band again, explaining the lack of variety they have grown used to at home.

“All there is in Springs is punk rock and hip hop,” Lohman said.

The opening act was the Jaden Carlson band, a four piece “funksion” band from Boulder, CO.

Carlson, a 16-year-old guitar prodigy, was the youngest musician ever to play on the Red Rocks stage when she was 11.

The crowd was sparse for the opening band as they played their synth-heavy, mostly instrumental set of jam songs with vivid synth melodies. The lighthearted atmosphere in the crowd increased as the band’s funky set continued.

The Nth Power at Hodi's Halfnote

The audience was particularly excited when Nth Power singer and guitarist Nick Cassarino joined Carlson in a duet cover of Curtis Mayfield’s 1970 soulful classic “Move On Up.”

Shortly after the Nth power took the stage, atmospheric grooves and complex drumbeats began to permeate the theater. More fans began to arrive as colorful stage lights and fog drifted through the air.

The Nth Power’s gospel-style vocals along with their soul, jazz, funk and world-beat riffs had the audience bobbing and swaying to their inspirational lyrics in no time.

“I am here to bring you joy,” Cassarino sang. “I am here to move your heart.”

Clearly a crowd favorite, the song “Only Love” showcased the band’s catchy songwriting and raw musical talent. The soaring guitar solos, eclectic drum rhythms and modulated vocals had the crowd entranced.

The Nth Power at Hodi's Halfnote

“It’s definitely my favorite song by them,” said Jen Mitchell. “I love his voice. He sounds like a funky John Mayer.”

Later, the band showcased “Truth,” the first single from their new album.

“In a system that profits off of ignorance and thrives on complacency, ‘Truth’ is a call to action – a reminder to unify and educate ourselves because preserving and strengthening humanity is our greatest responsibility,” The Nth Power told the music news blog Relix.

Fans received the song well, considering the highly political references it contained were insignificant from the band’s other uplifting songs.

“The lyrics are heavy, but they’re good,” Mitchell said.

According to the Nth Power’s website, they had formed during an impromptu late-night jam at Jazzfest 2012 in New Orleans.

“Music is what brought us together, but it’s the spiritual bond that makes us play so in touch with each other,” the band’s drummer Nikki Glaspie said on their website.

For tour dates, photos, music and more, visit The Nth Power’s website at thenthpowermusic.com