Top five ways to participate in CSU homecoming

In high school, homecoming weeks usually consisted of themed costume days and sporting events for every team, which culminated in the big homecoming dance. College homecoming is very different. It’s a literal coming home for many alumni from around the country. Alumni come back to see what is the same and what has changed since their time here at CSU and celebrate the pride they have for their alma mater. This makes it a bit less involved for the typical student currently enrolled at CSU, but there are still plenty of activities to participate in to get your fill of CSU pride this weekend.

1. Watch the parade and hang out at the festival on the oval

While there are activities that go on all week, this is seen as the official start of homecoming weekend. Starting at 3 p.m. on Friday there will be all sorts of fun to be had on the oval. There will be live music, food trucks, a beer garden and games and activities suited for kids and the kid at heart. Hang around to watch the parade take a lap around the oval before continuing on its route. The university and the Fort Collins community are represented in fun floats. The CSU Marching Band will make an appearance.

2. Chant at the bonfire and watch the lighting of the A

Follow the parade route down to the West Lawn by the IM Fields for even more fun starting at 6 p.m. This includes a pep rally full of Ram Pride and cheers around the bonfire. Find a spot in the grass with your Ramily to watch the fireworks and the annual lighting of the “A.” The fun wraps up at 8 p.m., so the 5k runners will be well rested come morning.

3. Tailgate with your friends before the football game

Grab your friends and your parents and head out to Hughes Stadium to get pumped before the game. There are tickets for the official Alumni Association Tailgate Event, but as usual, there will be regular tailgating as well. Tailgating will start at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Students, parents, faculty, alumni and Fort Collins Rams fans will all come together to catch up and fill their bellies before finding their seats to cheer on the team.

4. Cheer on the Rams at their weekend games

Rams football isn’t the only team to cheer for over the weekend. Rams soccer has two home matches at the Lagoon Field as well. Participate in an Orange Out as the lady Rams take on Colorado College today at 3 p.m. and come watch them again on Sunday at 1 p.m. against the Air Force Academy. The big football game against Utah State will take place at 8 p.m. on Saturday, and will be the last homecoming game played at Hughes Stadium, so be sure not to miss it.

5. Wear green and gold with pride

If all these events are not really your style, there is always the option to wear some green and gold. You can also take in the awesome green and gold decorations in the LSC and other buildings around campus. These include streamers, balloons and even a balloon figurine of Cam the Ram.