The 13th Floor Haunted House lives up to the hype

Denver’s 13th Floor Haunted House is one of the most famous haunted houses in the United States. It is often refers to as Colorado’s best haunted house. After checking it out, it is hard to disagree with all of the hype that the 13th Floor Haunted House has created.

The 13th Floor Haunted House provides a unique experience. To call it simply a haunted house would be selling it short because the 13th Floor Haunted House is more than just actors in scary costumes jumping out at people. Every detail is paid attention to, leaving nothing to me made up by the imagination. The extremely detailed props and sets made everything seem all the more realistic, which heightened the experience. This was joined by accurate and also equally detailed costumes for the actors to wear, which made sure that every actor that you came across was able to scare you time after time.

The close attention to detail really stood out in comparison to other haunted houses, which often include costumes for actors that are obviously fake and sets or props that look nothing close to real. These little nuances add up in the long run, making for the best haunted experience that one could possibly have. These realistic details are what makes the 13th Floor Haunted House the best in Colorado.

The most common detail that the crowd commented on and loved was timed sound affects that didn’t sound recorded or fake and that went along with movements or gestures that the actors did. This included slashing noises as an actor swiped a knife around, accurate sounds to accompany weapons and loud noises or lights that timed perfectly with an actor jumping out at you. Don’t attend the 13th Floor Haunted House if you think your heart can’t handle startling jump scares because loud sounds and bright lights and an actor in an extremely detailed costumes terrified many of the guests and made them run for their lives on more than one occasion. This thrill is what made every turn of every corner more and more exciting.

Actors at the 13th Floor Haunted House are highly rehearsed and know exactly what to do get the best scare. At many haunted houses, actors are allowed to apply for the job like anyone else would apply for a normal job and then simply show up and begin scaring after putting together a simple costume. But, that is not the case at the 13th Floor Haunted House. Actors go through an intense rehearsal process and then are given a character to play. The actors also have to rehearse for the haunt season; they are not allowed to to simply try things out as they go along and hope they work like most actors can in lesser quality haunted houses.

Something that also stood out was that the haunted house didn’t just appeal to one common fear. Other haunted houses will only focus on zombies or a similar theme. As you walked through this haunted house, you go through three different areas or “attractions” that each have a different theme. The first one, “Slasher Remix,” takes a trip through the slasher movies, featuring famous killers such as Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees. Running for your life while being chased at knife point by a famous killer is something straight out of a nightmare. The second attraction, “Undead: Abomination,” focuses on the zombie craze that has taken over haunted houses and people’s worst fears. The last attraction, called “Cursed: The Ritual” focuses on demons, werewolves, voodoo and everything in between. The haunted house’s website challenges guests in this attraction, saying “Can you resist the call of the voodoo priestesses, or will you be called into the order of the ritualistic, cursed werewolves like so many before you?” Although the 13th Floor Haunted House does not actually travel through 13 floors like some people commonly assume, it makes up for it by appealing to all common fears, such as snakes, spiders, roaches, giant lizards and more.

Chelsi Lawrence waiting in line for just over an hour and was getting nervous as she approached the entrance.

“I came here like four years ago, and the past two years, and now here I am shaking getting ready to go in again,” Lawrence said.

CSU freshman, Matt Osborne, went through the haunted house as well.

“I don’t necessarily know if it was as scary as I expected,” Osborne said. “Everyone made it out to be this terrifying thing that no one could finish all the way through, but it was really well put together to make up for that.”

Nicole Hughes, a high school student who had just finished the haunted house, was crying and laughing at the same time as she left the haunted house being chased by a man with a chainsaw.

“I’ve never been to a haunted house before,” Hughes said. “That was so bad. I cried the whole time.”

Although it was scary, Hughes said she will attend more haunted houses.

“Oh, yeah,” Hughes said. “I want to go to another one now. It was so fun.”

Regular admission for the haunted house is on the pricier side at $29.99. You can also pay $39.99 to have access to a line that provides a shorter wait or $49.99 to skip the line completely. But, the 13th Floor Haunted House is undoubtedly worth the price.

The 13th Floor Haunted House is located at 4120 Brighton Blvd, in Denver and is open until Nov. 5. So, check it out while you still have a chance. The experience is unforgettable and you don’t want to miss it this Halloween season.