CSU student tells scary stories from his job as an exterminator

CSU student Nick Visocky doesn’t have an average job like working at a dining hall serving food. Well, he did, but he decided to quit and take up a new line of work. One that offers some unusual stories about Bibles, stun guns and supernatural stuff.

Visocky is currently pursuing his second year studying criminal justice.

“I’ve been around CSU all my life, and to finally experience it as a student is really cool,” Visocky said.

When Visocky is not in class or doing homework, he is navigating maze-like houses or excavating crawl spaces in boiler rooms.

If you haven’t guessed it yet, Visocky works as an exterminator. When the job opportunity came available at James Pest Control and he was asked whether he’d take the job, he casually responded, “I’ve never done this before, but I’ll give it a try.”

“It’s pretty cool,” Visocky said. “I get to experience a lot of weird things people wouldn’t normally see.”

When Visocky heads off for a job, he rarely knows the circumstances or for that matter, the expected outcome. Dealing with the unknown is a daily theme in this line of work. There are many different calls that send Visocky to empty houses and hotels.

“It’s definitely fun though” Visocky said. “With every job you do, there’s always something different.”

Some days, Visocky will drive around to different houses that are owned by realtor companies. These houses haven’t been rented out for some time, making them empty and almost abandoned.

“These jobs are the scarier ones.” Visocky said. “Sometimes you’ll encounter doors that are locked randomly even though it’s supposed to be an empty house. In some cases, I’ve heard footsteps and voices after it being super quiet, and I think to myself, ‘what’s going on? Am I the only one in here?’”

Visocky said he also experiences weird occurrences at hotels.

“Hotels are a whole other beast,” Visocky said.

He was doing a hotel job one time when he found a Bible sitting on the bed. Taking a closer look, he saw the pages were wrenched apart.

“It was like the Bible was just open and someone ripped the middle fifty pages out,” Visocky said. “Strange stuff…”

Visocky does a route every Sunday through Denver that deals with different hotels. He mentioned a peculiar story that happened to him just the other day.

“I checked out the trap station outside of one of the hotels, and I walked around the corner, and just sitting on top of it was a stun gun and an empty crab leg.” Visocky said. “I was a little worried. I wondered what this is doing at my station in the middle of Denver in this hotel.”

Visocky said that he does believe in spiritual and supernatural happenings.

“One day, I went into this extensive house on the outskirts of town, which was empty, and it had some unusual floor plans,” Visocky said. “In the garage, there was a descending staircase that looked like it went to another front door. I thought this basement was another unit, so I knocked, nothing, just two locked doors.”

Later, he heard a door close shut behind him and thought it was the wind.

Although he has not experienced any actual ghost sitings or crazy spiritual happenings, Visocky said, “I’m hoping one day.”