Bas Bleu Theatre Company announces is 2016-2017 season

Known for producing theatre that is far from typical, local performing arts center, Bas Bleu Theatre Company, recently announced its 2016-2017 season.

Bas Bleu Theatre Company opened its doors for the first time on July 14, 1992. According their website, the vision was “to create an artistic and cultural center wherein bold, innovative and adventurous works of theatre and related arts could be explored and presented in Northern Colorado.”

In the past 25 years, the theatre has produced hundreds of award-winning productions.

Wendy Ishii, Bas Bleu Theatre Company’s artistic director and co-founder, said the theatre is unique because it offers an intimate environment.

“I personally think that there should be no theatre over 200 seats,” Ishii said. “Having a small intimate space is critical. One of the comments that we get most frequently from patrons is ‘I love being able to see a single tear roll down someone’s cheek or the smallest hint of a smile.’ You really feel like it’s seamless between the audience and the actor.”

The Bas Bleu Theatre Company’s upcoming season is full of plays that are not commonly known, but that seems to be for the better. Simply reading the descriptions of these award-winning works is enough to make anyone eager to check out a show.

“The Blue Flower”

On Sept. 24, the theatre opened its doors to the first audience of its 2016-2017 season. The season took off on the Tom Sutherland Stage with “The Blue Flower” written by Jim and Ruth Bauer and directed by Kit Baker.

The musical begins in 1889 and is about four fictional characters who were inspired by real characters during the Dada Movement.

According to Ishii, it is rare for the theater to do musicals.

“We’ve got some people leaving the show saying, ‘this is the best thing I’ve ever seen,'” Ishii said.

The show’s music is also like nothing else seen in theatre before.

“And the music is just phenomenal. We have a 8 piece band with Adam Taurus as the music director and he’s just wonderful. The music is sort of a combination of Kurt Weill and Hank Williams, the authors call it ‘sturm and twang.” Stephen Schwartz who you may know wrote Pippin, Vaudeville, and Wicked, he became a great champion of this work and produced it in Boston and New York, it the only show he’s produced outside of his own wildly successful pieces.”

The Blue Flower will be running through Oct. 16. If you can’t make it this production, check out a performance from one of the other productions that The Bas Bleu Theatre Company has in store for their 2016-2017 season.

“The Snow Queen”

Witten by: Ron Nicol

Directed by: Lowrey Moyer

Running: Nov. 19-Dec. 23, 2016

“The Snow Queen” is a story about good vs evil with a holiday theme.

“That Championship Season”

Written by: Jason Miller

Directed by: Laura Jones

Running: Feb. 4- March 5, 2017

A group of men reunite with their terminally ill high school basketball coach.

“Blue Kitchen”

Written and directed by: Eric Prince

Running: April 1– 30, 2017

“Blue Kitchen” looks into the life of a women dealing with the struggles of being stuck in routine.

“Boeing Boeing”

Written by: Marc Camoletti, translated by Beverly Cross and Francis Evans

Directed by: Jonathan Farwell and Deb Note-Farwell

Running: May 25– June 25, 2017

“Boeing Boeing” is about a French man with finances in three different countries that are all oblivious about the existence of the other women.

“Daniel Blue”

Written by: Daniel Blue

Directed by: Ann Whiteman

Running: October 9, 10 and 15, 2016

“Daniel Blue” follows the story of three brothers seeking gold in Pike’s Peak.

“Bakerfield Mist”

Written by: Stephen Sachs

Directed by: Deb Note-Farwell

Running: December 11, 12 and 17, 2016

This show tells the story of bartender and art expert and their possible discovery of an art piece worth millions of dollars.

“Bethany”

Written by: Laura Marks

Directed by: Peggy Shaughnessy

Running: February 19, 20 and 25, 2017

“Bethany” follows a single-mothers and her fight to get back what is hers after a foreclosure.

“The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”

Written by: Jethro Compton

Directed by: Don Kraus

Running: April 9, 10 and 15, 2017

This is a newly written play script of the popular 1960s western movie.

“Uncanny Valley”

Written by: Thomas Gibbons

Directed by: Peter Anthony

Running: June 11, 12 and 17, 2017

“Uncanny Valley” is about a neuroscientist and non-biological human and the evolution of their relationship.

To purchase tickets to any show at Bas Bleu, visit basbleu.org or call (970) 498-8949. Tickets cost $26 for adults, $20 for seniors and $13 for students.