A Fort Collins Fourth of July: What’s happening around town?

English: Fireworks on the Fourth of July
Fireworks on the Fourth of July (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

It’s that time of year again: Fireworks, beer, barbecues and Old Glory waving in the wind. Fort Collins is turning it up a notch for this year’s Fourth of July festivities. Read on to find out how you can celebrate America’s independence in FoCo.

FireKracker 5K

When: 8 a.m., kids’ run at 9 a.m.

Where: City Park

Cost: $25 for ages 15 and up, $20 for running club members and anyone under 17, $30 the day of the race

Because who doesn’t want to run a 5K in preparation for heavy day drinking? The Fort Collins Running Club is hosting its 11th annual FireKracker 5K, featuring a flat course that travels through City Park, through city streets and finishes at Sheldon Lake back in City Park. After the 5K, kiddies can participate in a fun run with ribbons for all finishers.

Golf Tournament

When: 8 a.m., shotgun start

Where: City Park Nine

Get all gussied up in your grandest golf gear for this two-person better ball tournament. Call 221-6650 for details.

Fourth of July Parade

When: 9:30 a.m.

Where: Mountain Avenue (Begins at Jackson Avenue and ends at Howes Street)

Cost: Free

Family-friendly fun awaits you as the City of Fort Collins starts a new tradition this year with its very first Fourth of July parade. Entries have the opportunity to win Best Overall, Second or Third awards. If you feel like constructing an elaborate, America-themed float (or just want to tie a balloon to your truck) contact Bob Adams at badams@fcgov.com to sign up.

32nd Annual Old Timer’s Game

When: 9:30 a.m.

Where: City Park North ballfield

It’s a baseball blast from the past! Check out some old dudes reliving their glory days and enjoying the sport they love. Cheesy, but could be fun?

Fort Collins Foxes Baseball Game

When: 1 p.m.

Where: City Park South ballfield

Cost: $6 for adults, $4 for seniors 65 and over and children 5-14, free for active military and children under 4

If you haven’t had enough of this classic American sport after the oldies, grab your peanuts and beer and check out the Fort Collins Foxes play against the Loveland Blue Jays at their traditional Fourth of July game. And hey – everyone gets a free mini American flag! Play ball!

Fireworks Show

When: 9:35 p.m.

Where: City Park

Cost: Free

It’s not Fourth of July until you’ve seen some colorful explosions in the sky and/or nearly had your hand blown off trying to light your own. (Editor’s note: the Collegian does not endorse illegal firework activity). Don’t miss out on the most iconic of Fourth of July celebrations – catch Fort Collins’ annual firework show, plus live music from 4:15 to 9:30 p.m. No need to worry about a DUI either – Transfort is offering free shuttle service to City Park from Moby Arena and the Downtown Transit Center from 5:30 p.m. to 9:10 p.m. and after the show concludes.

Managing Editor Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.