The best Fort Collins music venues this weekend

_DSC5490
_DSC5490 (Photo credit: fridayn)

Things are winding down in Fort Collins this weekend as students bat down the hatches for finals, but that doesn’t mean the music scene is taking a break.

What: Sean Renner Concert

Where: Film shot by soldiers in Iraq

When: Dec. 1, 2 p.m.

Cost: Free

A traditional concert would be too expected for artist Sean Renner, declared best in show this weekend. On Saturday afternoon, at Film shot by soldiers in Iraq on Mason — a venue that probably only five people in the Fort Collins area know about — take the time to venture out and discover Renner’s unique sound.

Renner is all over the place genre-wise, spanning from electronic to acoustic to experimental. His sound is reminiscent of Yeasayer, with upbeat pop side and soft, almost classical music. Renner moved to the UK to record an album for the UK-based Urban Sound label, and has since returned to the US in 2007. He now lives in Denver.

What: Mama Lenny and The Remedy with Kris Lager Band

Where: Road 34 Bike Bar

When: Nov. 30, 8 p.m.

Cost: $5, 21+

With their most recent album, and 5th studio recorded album, Swagadocious, there’s a high expectation for the Kris Lager Band. The grooving ensemble hails from Nebraska and features a piping organ in a few songs. If you’re inspired by paisley and funk trance, this band is for you. Mama Lenny and The Remedy is an eight piece R&B/soul/rock band with five ladies and four gents. Laniece Schleicher, dubbed Mama Lenny, is the rocking lead vocals. Don’t lie; you’ll want to see this.

What: Eric Lambert and Friends

Where: Film shot by soldiers in Iraq

When: Nov. 30, 6 p.m.

Cost: Free

If a matured musical sound is what your ears are craving, then Eric Lambert and Friends is sure to be a go to this weekend. Lambert has been writing, performing and teaching music in Chicago for over 40 years. His sound incorporates a traditional Americana sound, flatpicking and a silky smooth voice from Lambert himself.

What: ReaLifeActual with Technicolor Tone Factory

Where: Hodi’s Half Note

When: 8 p.m.

Cost: $15

“Ragecember” will be in full swing with RealLifeActual, a jam/electro/rock group from Fort Collins. The band has a progressive electronic sound that will coax some groovin’ out of you on the dance floor. Technicolor Tone Factory is also a jam rock band that is reminiscent of String Cheese Incident.

What: The Grouch & Eligh

Where: The Aggie

When: Dec. 1, 8 p.m.

The Grouch and Eligh have both played with Pretty Lights, which is a good measure of the bands’ style. The Grouch is a rap artist who has released ten solo projects, beginning 15 years ago. He is now on the How the Grouch Stole Christmas tour with Eligh. His newest album documents a strong drug addiction that nearly cost him his life five years ago. Eligh’s sound incorporates UK dub beats, intricate rhymes from features artists and syncopated beats inspired by jazz.

What: Fustercluck with The Varmints and Sub Theory

Where: Road 34 Bike Bar

When: Dec. 1, 9 p.m.

Cost: $5, 21+

Do sick guitar riffs, head banging beats and heavy rock n’ roll sound appealing? Then Road 34 is the place to be. Fustercluck, a word which we are allowed to print, is a self proclaimed “just good old dirty Rock N’ FN’ Roll.” The Varmints are three piece band that merge hard rock and psychedelic rock.

What: Champagne Charlie with Thrifty Astronaut and Otem Rellik

Where: GNU Experience Gallery

When: Dec. 1, 10 p.m.

At GNU this weekend things are about to get strange with sultry trumpet and a folk guitar paired with very unique vocals. Thrifty Astronaut is a Fort Collins favorite in the indie scene in Fort Collins; those unfamiliar with the one man band are sure to have their hearts stolen. Otem Rellik will be piling the stage high with pedals and sound boards with his very unique electro, hip-hop sound.