Fall clothing guide (I LOVE cardigans)

It’s that time of year again — the leaves are changing colors, Starbucks is serving pumpkin spice lattes and women everywhere are losing their men to fantasy football.

That’s right, it’s officially fall, which means it’s time to update your wardrobe for the new season. Don’t fret — Fort Collins offers several shopping options for “autumn-izing” your closet, so grab your wallet and a friend and prepare to drop some dough.

Old Town Fort Collins
Store: Kansas City Kitty
Location: 136 N. College Ave.
Website: www.kckitty.com
Price range: $20-$60
The apparel and accessories at Kansas City Kitty match the quaint cuteness of its feline nomenclature. An independent boutique in Fort Collins, Kansas City Kitty offers unique, handmade items for both guys and gals. For ladies, there is a selection of interestingly-patterned cardigans and chunky pastel sweaters that are perfect for Colorado’s sporadic fall weather. Plenty of scarves and burgundy and navy blue-colored tights round out the fall apparel lineup. Men can choose from scarves, flannels, and “Coloradical” tees and snapback hats.

Store: Cira
Location: 21 Old Town Square
Website: “Cira Ltd.” Facebook page
Price range: $30-$100
Clothing boutique Cira offers a wide array of fall fashions for young women. Trendy merchandise at the store includes sheer button-up tops (great for layering), bomber jackets, studded combat boots and a range of accessories from scarves and bags to earrings and hats. The boutique is ideal for finding distinctive, colorful pieces and dressier items.

Near Campus
Store: GG Boutique
Location: 204 W. Laurel St.
Website: “GG Boutique” Facebook page
Price range: $10-$30
GG Boutique, which recently opened in August, offers a great mix of tanks, tees, sweaters and jackets — all important when layering your outfits for the fall season. Standout items include a polka-dot blazer, a gold sequin long-sleeved dress, burnt orange s

Made in 1996
Made in 1996 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

kinny jeans and black over-the-knee equestrian boots that are an essential item in any girl’s fall wardrobe. GG is a great option for the more fashion-forward Fort Collins-ites among us.

South College Avenue
Store: Plato’s Closet
Location: 4372 S. College Ave.
Website: www.platoscloset.com
Price Range: $5-$70
Plato’s Closet sells used clothes (gasp). If you want to save money without sacrificing style, Plato’s is your home. They only sell previously owned clothing that is gently used and brand name. The clothes are even reviewed by a buyer before purchasing them to decide if they are stylish enough and in good enough condition to be sold at the store. Plato’s currently lists its “Top 10 Trends” as moccasins, feminine sweatshirts, embellished sheer, fall vests, colored denim, structured handbags, peplum tops, military jackets, statement scarves and pretty jewelry.

Harmony Road
Store: DSW
Location: 4431 Corbett Drive #1004
Website: www.dsw.com
Price Range: $15-$150
You can’t forget one of the most important aspects of any fall wardrobe — shoes. DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) carries a huge selection of boots, sandals, heels and flats for women, plus dress shoes, boots, sandals and sneakers for men. There really is something for everyone at DSW. Boots are a definite must for this time of year. Popular styles for women include over-the-knee riding boots, lace-up combat boots, fringed boots, cowboy boots and spike-heeled stiletto boots. Combat boots, lace-up leather boots and suede boots are popular among men’s styles.

Store: Charming Charlie
Location: 2721 Council Tree Ave. #101
Website: www.charmingcharlie.com
Price Range: $5-$30
Charming Charlie is mainly an accessories retailer. They carry everything from headbands, earrings and necklaces to bracelets, rings, purses and even some dresses and other apparel. The sheer volume of accessories in the store is somewhat overwhelming at first, but if you’re looking for jewelry, chances are good that you will find something here. Charming Charlie’s merchandise is arranged by color, which makes it easy to find that perfect accent item to match your fall outfits.