NCAA tournament Lexington regional recap, Marquette survives Butler

College Basketball on CBS
College Basketball on CBS (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Marquette survives Butler 74-72

Marquette avenged a heartbreaking loss in Maui by outlasting Butler’s last second heave.

Bulldogs forward Andrew Smith couldn’t make a buzzer-beater as the Golden Eagles defeated Butler 74-72 in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

The Bulldogs shot 46 percent from three point range and senior guard Rotnei Clark scored 24 points, but it wasn’t enough.

Marquette grabbed 22 rebounds to Butler’s 18 and snatched eight offensive boards.

Junior guard Vander Blue lead the Golden Eagles with 29 points and four steals.

Marquette advances to the sweet 16 and play the winner of Illinois vs Miami March 26.

Louisville pounds CSU 82-56

Louisville got its game on to the Rupp Arena floor. CSU did not.

The Cardinals forced 20 turnovers, which lead to 24 points and a 82-56 win in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

CSU grabbed 24 rebounds to Louisville’s 29, just the third time the team had been out-rebounded all season.

Louisville junior guard Russ Smith scored 27 points on 4-7 shooting from behind the three point line.

Senior forward Greg Smith scored 14 points to lead CSU while sophomore guard Daniel Bejarano also was in double figures with 10.

Louisville will play Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen on March 29 in Indianapolis.

CSU moves past Mizzou 84-72

Dorian Green really doesn’t like Missouri.

The Lawrence, KS native scored 26 points on 3-5 shooting from behind the arc to lead CSU to a 84-72 win over Missouri in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

CSU shot 49 percent from the field as a team and made 27-33 free throws to counter Missouri’s 42.1 percent shooting.

The Rams also out-rebounded the Tigers 42-19. Both teams average more than 40 rebounds per game.

CSU will play top overall seed Louisville Saturday.

Louisville crushes North Carolina A&T 79-48 

Louisville looked every bit the top overall seed, crushing NC A&T 79-48 in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Aggies turned the ball over 27 times, which lead to 34 Louisville points.

Nine Cardinals scored, lead by junior guard Russ Smith’s 23 points.

North Carolina A&T shot 41.5 percent from the floor and couldn’t keep up with the Cardinal’s 57.4 percent clip.

Louisville will play the winner of CSU vs. Missouri Saturday.

Marquette downs Davidson 59-58

Marquette junior guard Vander Blue made a layup with one second remaining to cap an 8-2 run that gave the Golden Eagles a 59-58 win in the second round of the NCAA tournament in Lexington.

The Golden Eagles made three 3-pointers in the last minute to overcome a five point deficit.

Davidson lead by as many as 10 points in the first half after hitting its firs four 3-pointers.

Blue lead Marquette with 16 points while senior forward Jake Cohen scored a game-high 20 for the Wildcats.

Marquette plays Butler Saturday.

Butler beats Bucknell 68-56

Butler overcame a rough start and struggling from the field to defeat Bucknell 68-56 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in Lexington.

Bucknell senior big Man Mike Muscala, hyped as an NBA prospect, struggled from the field shooting 4-17 for nine points and pulling down nine rebounds.

Butler senior Andrew Smith locked Muscala down most of the night  and picked up a double double with 14 points and 16 rebounds.

The Bison took a brief 37-31 lead in the second half, but back to back 3-pointers from Butler killed any chance of an upset.

Neither team shot above 40 percent from the floor while they combined for 29 fouls.

Butler will advance and play the winner of the 3-seed Marquette vs. 14-seed Davidson Saturday.