Former CSU coach Steve Fairchild hired as Virginia offensive coordinator and QB coach

Former CSU football head coach Steve Fairchild was anncouced as the next offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Virginia. Fairchild has 31 years of coaching experience in both NCAA and NFL.

Former CSU head football coach Steve Fairchild is heading back to college.

The University of Virginia picked Fairchild as its new offensive coordinator, the university announced Wednesday.

Fairchild has spent the past year as the senior offensive assistant for the San Diego Chargers after spending the previous four seasons with Colorado State, where his teams posted a combined 16-33 record before being fired in December of 2011.

Fairchild boasts 31 years of coaching experience at the collegiate and professional levels, including eight years of experience in the NFL as a running backs and quarterbacks coach as well as stints as an offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Rams.

“I am very excited to join the football program at the University of Virginia,” Fairchild said to Virginia’s athletic site, virginiasports.com. “I can’t wait to get started. I’m excited about the type of football team we can have and anxious to get to Charlottesville and get to work.”

The hiring of Fairchild fills a vacancy left by Bill Lazor, who resigned his positions as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Cavaliers after accepting a quarterbacks coaching position with the Philadelphia Eagles.

“Steve Fairchild brings a wealth of experience to Virginia and when you look at the offenses of the teams he has coached, you see high achievement,” said Virginia head coach Mike London. “Throughout his career you find Steve was a part of coaching staffs that have had tremendous offensive success and we are really fortunate to have him join our staff.”