CSU Ram’s Cycling

Sponsored Content 

by Melanie Beale

The CSU Cycling Club

The CSU Cycling Club is a multi-disciplinary club that competes in road, mountain bike, cyclocross, track, and BMX. In 2018, they won the club cyclocross team national championship and took 2nd in both road and mountain bike! They had both male and female team members on the podium at all of these events.

Collegiate cycling is unique in that it provides racing for all ability levels, from C/D “beginners”, B “intermediate” and A “advanced” races. Many team members join as a beginner rider and by their junior and senior years they are competing at the national level. The team hosts 1-3 team rides per week for all ability levels. We are currently the 2019 top ranked club in the nation for the year-long standings that include all disciplines!

Meetings: Monday at 8pm in Clark A205 both fall and spring. Our spring road weekend is April 13th and 14th , 2019. The road race will be at Cobb Lake (Robie Ct, Fort Collins, CO 80524) on Saturday April 13th. There is a short hill climb finish which will ensure an exciting race!

The criterium is on the CSU Oval on Sunday April 14th . The women A race at (10:45am) and the men A race at (11:45am). The criterium is a spectator-friendly race and will have food trucks and an announcer for each race.

If you would like more information about the team, please contact Katie paradiskg@me.com.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/CSURamsCycling/
IG: @csucycling

Two Members of the Team Christian and Chaz:

Christian Atkins is a sophomore studying mechanical engineering. Since he was 4 years old, he has been on two wheels, but he recently switched from motocross to mountain bike. The 2019 Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals was his first exposure to the “big stage”, and never had he been so nervous, excited, and terrified all at once. He was able to secure the fastest time in the Dual Slalom category and set the fastest time of the day on the Downhill track. Dual Slalom finals were at night and under the lights, and sure enough he made it to the final round, but because of a small mishap he had to settle for second. In downhill he managed one second faster than his qualifying time, but once again he was bested by one position. Not a bad result for his first nationals; we’re quite sure he will be in stars and stripes soon enough!

Chaz Hogenauer is a junior studying civil engineering. He grew up in Boise ID; where he started racing mountain bikes in middle school. Last year Chaz was able to place 3rd and 5th in the road race and criterium, respectively, at USA Cycling’s Collegiate Road Nationals. He was able to make the 3 man break in the road race along with two CU Boulder riders. During the Criterium Chaz repeatedly attacked helping to break the group apart and ended up finishing 5th. This placed Chaz 3rd in the overall omnium standings! This year Chaz has high hopes that his performances can keep the CSU team ranked #1 in the nation.