Inside ASCSU: Five Events to Participate in CSU’s 102nd Homecoming

The leaves are turning and the weather is chilling – it’s Homecoming at Colorado State University for the one hundred and second year in a row.

Homecoming started in 1914 when the Aggies were alive and well. This year, ASCSU members are taking a leadership role on the Homecoming Committee, in charge of festivities for the week of Oct. 3.

Members of ASCSU have focused on tailoring the first few days of Homecoming Week to the theme of “Capture the Moment.” Alexis Svenson, deputy director of traditions and programs at ASCSU, has been working non-stop for nearly four months to ensure this year’s Homecoming festivities rival those of years’ past. Pranaya Sathe, director of Community Affairs, is ensuring the accomplishments of CSU don’t go overlooked.

UHPC_T1708_4.jpg
Homecoming float with banner reading “Support Local Agriculture, Your Food Our Future” from 1984 (Photo courtesy of University Archives and Special Collections)

Our University has had a rich history as a land-grant institution, with roots back to Abraham Lincoln. We saw expansion at the turn of the century and were in existence during two world wars. We were known as the “Aggies” up until the transition period in the ‘50s and ‘60s, and Hughes Stadium was constructed in 1968. Now, we see a new outlook with the on-campus stadium, a new health center and a state of change on campus.

This year, we will say goodbye to Hughes and hello to a new future. Be sure to participate in at least a few of the upcoming Homecoming festivities:

Brunch on the Plaza Monday, Oct. 3 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

What could be better than munching on crepes on the plaza? They are a delicacy that many students may not come across very often. Kick off Homecoming Week with a bang by filling your stomach! The Traditions and Programs Department is fully funding the crepes, fruit and granola for this brunch.

There will also be a tent on the plaza showcasing the history of Hughes Stadium with photos from the sixties.

BAACC & El Centro: Celebrating 40 Years

Learn about the 40-year histories of the Black/African American Cultural Center and El Centro on the plaza Monday. Talk to students and staff at the tent while munching down on that delicious crepe.

UHPC_B1380C.jpg
The homecoming parade in procession in downtown Fort Collins in 1948 (Photo courtesy of University Archives and Special Collections)

Tailgate Tuesday on Campus

Wondering what the game day experience may look like when the on-campus stadium is finished? Stop by the grassy tree area between Parmelee Hall and the CSU Police Station Tuesday to participate in a barbecue, see CAM the Ram and raise your school spirit. You can expect beef and chicken barbecue sandwiches, iced tea, lemonade and peach cobbler, thanks to the Traditions and Programs Department and the on-campus Meat Lab.

CSU Day Proclamation

It is official: CSU Day is Oct. 4! A proclamation recognizing the accomplishments of CSU over the past 20 years was created by the ASCSU Director of Community Affairs and Fort Collins Mayor Wade Troxell. It is a better time, now more than ever, to recognize all of CSU’s accomplishments over the past 20 years, as the last proclamation was in 1995. A reading of this proclamation will take place at the city council meeting Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Fort Collins City Hall.

Parade, Evening Bonfire and Lighting of the ‘A’ on Friday

UHPC_B6737G.jpg
A group of female students in pajamas are participating in the homecoming parade in 1956. (Photo courtesy of University Archives and Special Collections)

The annual Homecoming Parade will roll through campus and town Friday afternoon, showcasing floats designed by countless organizations, colleges, departments and more. You can expect to see a patriotically pleasing ASCSU float featuring “CAMbraham Lincoln.”

The annual bonfire and lighting of the ‘A’ will be that Friday evening on the IM Fields.

Collegian writer and ASCSU Deputy Chief of Staff Chrissy Vessa can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @chrissyvessa.