The legalization movement; what’s in store for 2016?

English: An ounce of Green Crack bought from a...
English: An ounce of Green Crack bought from a dispensary in California. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Now that 23 states have legalized the medical use of cannabis, four of which also allow recreational use, many other states are pushing for the same change. According to Yahoo News, these nine states are almost there.

Residents of Nevada have been circulating a petition that has accumulated over 60,000 signatures to reconsider the state’s marijuana laws. Nevada stoners are hoping this will be enough to get the measure on the 2016 ballot.

California made history when medical marijuana was legalized in 1996. They would now like to regulate a recreational market as well. Gov. Jerry Brown has been passing new statutes to better control medical marijuana in the state. According to Yahoo News, this is in hopes of implementing a recreational market soon.

Maine is another state closing in on full legalization. According to an article in the Huffington Post, the city of Portland has already been exercising this freedom. Question 1 was passed with 70 percent support in early November. Adults may now legally possess up to two and a half ounces of cannabis. Sale and purchase of the drug is still illegal, as is consumption in public areas.

A Phoenix lawmaker has proposed a plan to Gov. Doug Ducey that would legalize recreational marijuana in Arizona by next summer. If the new legislation receives enough support, House Bill 2007 would allow adults 21 and older to purchase, possess (up to an ounce) and consume cannabis.

To read more about the legalization process Connecticut, Michigan, Ohio, Rhode Island and Vermont will undergo, check out the full story. More information can also be found here on Nevada, California, Maine and Arizona.