Vanderbilt upsets Colorado State in week 2 orange out

todd centeio rushes the ball pursed by Vanderbilt university
Todd Centeio (7) rushes the ball while being pursued by Vanderbilt University’s defense Sept. 11. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

Changes have been made well before kickoff for Colorado State to return from its season-opening setback with the excitement found at Canvas Stadium on Sept. 11, as the Rams took on the Vanderbilt University Commodores in a sea of orange to celebrate Ag Day.

Starting off strong, the Rams did not hesitate to take the lead against the Commodores. In the first two minutes, senior quarterback Todd Centeio passed to the right for three yards to senior running back David Bailey, who advanced to the first touchdown of the night.

I was hoping that wouldn’t come back to haunt us. I felt like it should have been 28-0 at the half, and we didn’t do it.” -head coach Steve Addazio 

The Rams didn’t stop there, as the team pushed their way down the field for several completions, finishing off the first quarter in the lead.

With no hesitation and only a minute into the second quarter, Bailey rushed the middle for his second touchdown of the night followed by junior kicker Cayden Camper’s field goal, which set the Rams at a 14-0 lead fresh into the second quarter. With energy levels at an all-time high, the Rams came out ready to play.

At only a minute left in the second quarter, Vanderbilt senior Chris Pierce Jr. completed the Commodores’ first touchdown followed by senior kicker Joseph Bulovas’ field goal, putting the score at 14-7

Rashad Ajayi (4) jumps into the air after missing a mass. Colorado State University lost to Vanderbilt University 24-21
Rashad Ajayi (4) jumps into the air after missing a pass. Colorado State University lost to Vanderbilt University 24-21 Sept. 12. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

“I was hoping that wouldn’t come back to haunt us,” head coach Steve Addazio said at halftime. “I felt like it should have been 28-0 at the half, and we didn’t do it.” 

As the third quarter rolled out, Vanderbilt didn’t hesitate to challenge our Rams. In the ninth minute, senior Cam Johnson rushed nine yards to complete the Commodores’ second touchdown followed by Bulovas’ second field goal, tying the Rams 14-14.

While the Rams’ defense dwindled, the Commodores pushed through as sophomore quarterback Ken Seals rushed the third touchdown, yet again completed by Bulovas’ field goal, leaving the third quarter at Vanderbilt leading 21-14

With the fourth quarter wrapping up, the Rams were fighting to keep the Commodores from closing the game. With only three minutes left, the Rams made their way to the end zone as Trey McBride scored, followed by Camper’s field goal, tying 21-21. With seconds left, Vanderbilt’s kicker, Bulovas, ended the game, taking the lead 24-21

As the Rams take this defeat head-on, they prepare for what the upcoming weeks have away from Canvas Stadium. Next Saturday, Colorado State University takes on the University of Toledo in Toledo, Ohio, at Glass Bowl Stadium. 

Karsyn Lane can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @KarsynLane1