CSU soccer splits weekend series in Colorado Springs

The Colorado State soccer team had another weekend split while on the road in Colorado Springs. One week after splitting against New Mexico University and San Diego State University, the Rams went down to the Springs to face off against Colorado College and the Air Force Academy.

CSU vs. Colorado College

On Friday, Oct. 4, the Rams faced off against a talented Colorado College team. The Tigers came out with a 1-0 win. 

The game wasn’t as close as the score indicated, as statistically, Colorado College dominated most categories. Colorado College had more shots (19) and shots on goal (13) compared to the Rams’ 11 shots with 7 on goal.

Colorado College (7-3) only had two losses entering the weekend matchup and looked to prove that their hot streak to start the year was no fluke. They proved this to be true as they were far more aggressive and energetic throughout the matchup than the Rams. 

CSU vs. Air Force

CSU stayed in the Springs on Sunday, Oct. 6. They collected a 1-0 win against Air Force to go 1-1 for the weekend. 

At the 41-minute mark, Taylor Steinke scored the game’s only goal in the 1-0 win. The goal was Steinke’s first goal of the season. The 5-foot-10-inch junior spent the beginning of the season recovering from a torn MCL. After making her return against the University of Denver, the forward has been a solid contributor. Steinke’s game-winner was the third of her career. 

While often backing up star Kristen Noonan, Steinke has been playing more and more each game. Her hard work while nursing the injury finally paid off against Air Force with a goal that was assisted by Caeley Lordemann. Lordemann, who is the team leader in goals, is known for her scoring but came away with her second assist for the year, which is second on the team. This assist boosted her point total for the year to a team-leading 14. 

CSU and Air Force both had eight shots, but the difference was that three of those were on goal for the Rams, in comparison to the one save CSU goal-keeper Gabi McDonald had to make.

The defense was the key in this game. Defenders Halley Havlicek, Lauren Jones and Addie Wright all prevented Air Force from getting clean shots. When Air Force got the ball into scoring territory, the Rams defense cleared the ball out in order to make it easy on McDonald.

The victory pushes the Rams to a 7-4-1 overall record: the best in program history, with seven games to add to their win total. Receiving their seventh win on the season gave the Rams the most wins in program history. The Rams’ best season before this year was last season when they went 6-9-4. 

After being on the road in five of the last six contests, CSU will enjoy a four-game homestand. Next Friday they face Fresno State. CSU is enjoying the best season in program history and hopes to take advantage of the home games. 

Bailey Bassett can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @baileybassett_.