CSU football can turn season around against Utah State

After coming up short at home against Toledo, the Rams head to Logan, Utah, to take on the 2-1 Utah State Aggies hoping to turn the season around.

Heading into week five, the Rams carry a 1-3 overall record and face a tough slate of games up ahead that include conference opponents Utah State and San Diego State.

ram mascot in a crowd
Cam the Ram with fans Sept. 21 cheering Patrick O’Brien (12) during a quarterback sneak in the second half. The Colorado State Rams lost to Toledo 41-35 but kept it a close game. (Ryan Schmidt | Collegian)

Utah State is coming off a gritty 23-17 road victory against San Diego State. The Aggies are an explosive team that can put up points in a hurry. Led by quarterback Jordan Love and running back Jaylen Warren, the Aggies look to run and spread the ball around the outside to their playmaking wide receivers.

The struggling Rams defense faces a tough task in trying to slow down the Aggie offense. In the last two contests, the Rams have given up almost 100 total points. To get back on track, the Rams defense will need to step up and be a factor. This starts with stopping the run up front, especially after giving up over 400 yards on the ground.

“We need (to) execute and make sure we stop any run plays. … That is what killed us last week,” defensive tackle Ellison Hubbard said. “If we focus on keeping them from running the ball, we got everything else under control.”

Scoring points hasn’t been an issue for the Rams, averaging 34.5 points per game and ranked in the top 10 in the FBS for total offense. However, injuries are starting to take a toll on the offense. Quarterback Collin Hill is already out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury, and the Rams could be down two more starters in running back Marvin Kinsey Jr. and receiver Warren Jackson.

player runs with the ball
Dante Wright and Warren Jackson during the fourth quarter Sept. 21. The Rams lost to Toledo 41-35 but kept it a close game. (Ryan Schmidt | Collegian)

“I hope Marvin plays. … I know he told y’all he’s playing today, but the trainers say he’s doubtful,” Coach Mike Bobo said. “Warren Jackson is doubtful for this game and hasn’t practiced all week.”

Kinsey is dealing with a separated shoulder that kept him from finishing the game against Toledo. He is the Rams’ leading rusher on the season, and the team desperately needs him on the field.

Jackson, currently the leading receiver on the team, has a possible concussion that sidelined him toward the end of the game on Saturday.

The Rams may have a huge mountain to climb if both players are unable to suit up, as both play vital roles in this offense. Although it’s tough losing your top playmakers on offense, other players have to be ready to step up and make plays when their names are called.

“If you go down, we need to make sure that guys are ready to go, so we’re not scrambling trying to rush players back,” Hubbard said. “We got guys stepping up trying to fill that role or do whatever they got to do to help this team out.”

The Rams have to play smart and sound football to win this game. They’ve hurt themselves throughout games, and that needs to stop if they want to have any chance of winning. The Aggies are a tough team that will capitalize on their mistakes.

Junior Guerrero can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JuniorG45