CSU adds former All-American and Ms. Quadruple Double to coaching staff

One of the most prolific players to ever don the green and gold for Colorado State’s volleyball team will be rejoining the team this season, but under a new title.

Colorado State University’s Adrianna Culbert celebrates the Rams’ Mountain West title with fellow senior Jaime Colaizzi in 2015. (Ryan Arb)

Adrianna Culbert will join Head Coach Tom Hilbert’s staff as an assistant coach. Culbert, a former Rams All-American, earned more than 25 awards and honors in her four-year career that spanned from 2012-2015.

Culbert solidified herself in CSU history books when she recorded a quadruple-double in her senior season. Against San Jose State University, Culbert tallied 10 kills, 11 blocks, 20 assists and 13 digs to record the NCAA’s first quadruple-double in more than five years.

During her tenure at CSU, Culbert was named Mountain West Player of the Year, American Volleyball Coaches Association Third-Team All-American and Colorado Sports Hall of Fame female collegiate athlete of the year. In addition, the Rams reached the regional semifinals in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009 during that span.

“(Adrianna) is one of the top three pure all-around volleyball players I’ve ever coached. Her talents are due to her drive and her incredible eye for the game. These traits also make for a great coach. She has proven herself at Northern Colorado and I feel confident she will be an immediate contributor on our staff. (Her) knowledge and expertise as a player and coach should allow for a smooth transition for her return home to CSU.” -Head Coach Tom Hilbert

After graduating CSU, she attended the University of South Carolina as a graduate student where she played on the beach volleyball team and earned a spot on the USA Volleyball Collegiate Beach Pairs Championship in 2017.

She was an assistant coach for the indoor volleyball team at South Carolina and the University of Northern Colorado.

The man who coached Culbert and the Rams through all those years is excited about the newest addition to his staff.

Adrianna Culbert during her playing days with the Rams.

“Dri is one of the top three pure all-around volleyball players I’ve ever coached,” Hilbert said. “Her talents are due to her drive and her incredible eye for the game. These traits also make for a great coach. She has proven herself at Northern Colorado and I feel confident she will be an immediate contributor on our staff. Culbert’s knowledge and expertise as a player and coach should allow for a smooth transition for her return home to CSU.”

Culbert, who will be replacing Luke Murray after his five years with the program, is excited about returning to her alma mater.

“My experience at CSU was filled with so many wonderful memories and growth opportunities, and when I look back at why that is, it’s because of the amazing people I was surrounded by,” Culbert said. “The community and the Ramily that CSU volleyball is surrounded and immersed with is so special. To have the opportunity to help impact the team and program the way I was as a player is an incredible blessing. I am so thankful I get to help the players create memories, experiences and lessons that will be able to last a lifetime. I’m extremely excited I get to once again call CSU home!”

Sergio Santistevan can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TheRealsSergio.