Sant, Dawson add to track & field’s fourth-straight weekly awards

Sergio Santistevan

Another week, another Mountain West award won by the Colorado State track and field team.

This week, senior Marybeth Sant and freshman Adam Dawson joined the list of Rams to earn athlete of the week recognitions.

women crosses the finish line of a 60m race
Senior Marybeth Sant crosses the finish line during the 60m race in Boulder at the Colorado Invitational Feb. 2. Sant won the race in 7.21 seconds. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

With this week’s honors, the track and field team has now earned four Mountain West weekly awards in all four weeks of the outdoor season.

Sant and Dawson were exceptional at last week’s Doug Max Invitational, which led to their respective awards.

In the 100 meters, Sant recorded a collegiate-best 11.56. Sant’s time was the third-fastest time in University history at that event. Her overall altitude adjusted time ranks fourth overall in the conference this season.

Sant’s day wasn’t done though, as she ran the first leg of the 4×100 relay that recorded a school record for the second week in a row. CSU’s relay team ranks first in the conference and 18 in the nation.

As one award went to a senior, the other went to a freshman. Dawson won the men’s discus competition with a personal-best record of 183-6 (55.93m).

Player looks before throwing
Freshman Adam Dawson looks towards the hammer throw field, as he winds up his throw at the Doug Max Invitational. Dawson placed sixth in the competition. (Devin Cornelius | Collegian)

Dawson’s throw ranks 11 all-time on CSU’s list, first in the Mountain West and 28 in the NCAA this season.

Dawson keeps racking up awards in his first outdoor season as this is his second weekly award in the last three weeks.

CSU will try and keep the awards coming as they head to Southern California this week for several meets.

Sergio Santistevan can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TheRealsSergio.