Zahlmann: The sports storylines that made the year

Editor’s note: As part of a media transparency initiative, on Aug. 20, 2018, The Collegian spent the first day of publishing of the year telling our readers about us. You can read more about the people behind our publication in the Editor’s Blog.

In an effort to reflect on the 2017-2018 year for The Collegian sport’s section, ahead are the three most impactful stories last year. 

1. Larry Eustachy resigns
    Head Coach Larry Eustachy yells at a ref for a missed foul call in during the 2nd half of the Rams 80-58 win over Alcorn State. (Javon Harris | Collegian)

Spearheaded by former Collegian Sports Director Justin Michael, the coverage of Larry Eustachy’s resignation was the most impactful development of the year for The Collegian sports section.

With several breaking developments first reported by Michael, the publication received further recognition than ever before on the writers. On several sites, including ESPN, Michael’s coverage was nationwide news, something that will impact the section for years to come.

Putting pressure on the university to divulge the truth, Michael was able to impact the entire community, putting the facts above all else.

1. CSU Softball protests inequality
    The Colorado State University softball team cheers from the dugout during a game against Penn State on Friday, March 3, 2017 at Colorado State University. CSU beat Penn State 4-0. (Forrest Czarnecki | Collegian)

Mack Beaulieu made his appearance on major outlets with his coverage of the Colorado State softball protest.

The protest occurred after the indoor practice facility on campus was overtaken by the CSU football team, despite softball being in season, while football was not.

Beaulieu allowed the team’s voices to be heard further with interviews directly preceding the protest, with candid input from several players that put the school on notice through the nation. The story would not have been possible had Beaulieu not been in tune with the program, an attribute that many writers pride themselves on at The Collegian.

1. The Littlest Big Fan 
    Bryce Krisl and Michael Gallup embrace after CSU’s loss in the New Mexico Bowl. Gallup gave Bryce his jersey from the Idaho Potato Bowl. (Photo courtesy of Lance Krisl)

Former Sports Director Colin Barnard dove into the life of mini super fan Bryce Krisl.

In his article “Superstar in the stands: How Bryce Krisl captured the hearts of CSU players, fans,” Barnard chronicled the sports fandom of five-year-old Krisl, a mainstay in the stands of CSU sporting events.

Known for his relationship with several players, including Dallas Cowboys wide receiver and former Ram Michael Gallup, Krisl has created several memories in his short span in the stands.

The story was widely renowned and shared by the CSU community, many of which are familiar with Krisl and his fandom.

Collegian Sports Director Luke Zahlmann can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @lukezahlmann.