CSU’s distance runners enjoy record-breaking weekend at Husky Invitational

Splitting between two events did not slow down Colorado State track & field as the Rams continued action in two different invites last weekend. The Rams sent most of their distance runners to Seattle, Wash. for the Husky Invitational while the rest of the team competed in Albuquerque, N.M.

Redshirt junior Cole Rockhold runs at the CU Invitational on Feb. 3, 2018. Rockhold recorded the nation’s fourth-fastest time in the mile in the 2018 season. (Jack Starkebaum | Collegian)

At the Husky Invitational, Grant Fischer scorched the competition in the 5,000 meters where he also broke the program record. Fischer won the event with a time of 13:44. The record was previously held by Jerrell Mock who ran a 13:46 at the Husky Invitational in 2017.

“Grant really wanted that school record,” distance coach Art Siemers said in a statement. “He’s never had a school record before – college, high school, middle school, he told me. For a former walk-on to come out here in pretty much his one chance to get the school record…he just executed. The pace was slow early but he just stayed composed throughout the race and got it done.”

Fischer was just the start for the team as multiple Rams earned rankings on Colorado State University’s top 20 all-time list in the 5,000 meters. Eric Hamer finished second in his heat with a time of 14:15, the second-fastest time for the Rams. Hamer’s time also ranks sixth on CSU’s all-time indoor list. Maximilliano Martinez finished with a time of 14:24 in his debut, a time that ranks 14th in the program’s records.

There were four other Rams that set top-20 times including Luke Giugliano who finished with a time of 14:25, which ranks 11th on the all-time list. Justin Weinmeister’s time of 14:26 ranks 12th. Rounding things out for the Rams were sophomores Satchel Caldwell and Forrest Barton. Caldwell finished with a time of 14:29, which ranks 13th on the all-time list while Barton finished with a time of 14:41, 18th all-time.

“I was really proud of all of our guys in the 5k tonight,” Siemers said. “Each of those guys made our top-20 list, which is exciting because it means they’re all on and ran personal bests. They’re starting to come into form and hopefully we’ll just keep rolling until conference. We have some up-and-coming young guys that have a chance to travel to sea-level competition and they’re taking advantage of their opportunities. We’ll keep it rolling tomorrow.”

While the distance runners highlighted the Husky Invitational, the women’s weight throw team registered multiple personal bests. Aimee Larrabee set a PR with a mark of 19.44 meters, seventh on the all-time list. Linnea Jonsson also set a PR with a mark of 19.02 meters, ninth on the all-time list. In the men’s weight throw, Alex Blaho also set a PR with a mark of 19.04 meters, 18th on the all-time list.

“We came in looking for some big marks today, and we had a few in the weight throw,” head coach Brian Bedard said. “To have four women reach the finals of the weight throw at the Don Kirby was good to see as well. We had some areas that I thought we underperformed in today, but I’m looking forward to seeing what we can get done tomorrow.”

The Rams continued their record-breaking weekend on day two with Cole Rockhold breaking the record for the 3,000 meters by just over a second with his time of 7:50.10. The record time of 7:51.38 was previously held by Jefferson Abbey. Rockhold also set a PR.

“Cole missed about four or five days of training a couple of weeks ago and we were thinking he might not even run at the meet (last week) at CU,” said coach Siemers. “He’s just such a composed runner. He went to CU and got a likely qualifying mark in the mile, not even knowing he was going to run it until probably Thursday of that week. Then, in his first 3k of the year with some of the toughest competition in the country, he just moved up throughout the race and put himself in a position to win in the last turn.”

Three other Rams set personal bests in the 3,000 meters. Carson Hume finished with a time of 8:05, ranking fifth on the all-time list. Following Hume was Wayde Hall who finished with a time of 8:07, seventh all-time. Finishing with a time of 8:07 was Trent Powell, his time ranks eighth on the all-time list.

Mostafa Hassan remained undefeated in the shot put event this indoor season. Hassan won the event with a mark of 19.59.

The Rams will continue their indoor season at the Rocky Mountain Classic in Laramie, Wyo. on Feb. 16.

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.