CSU volleyball announces 2018 spring schedule

There is no offseason when it comes to college athletics and the Colorado State volleyball team made that clear Friday, Feb. 16. They announced their spring schedule that includes matchups with in-state rivals and a couple NCAA tournament teams from the fall season.

Coach talking to players
CSU head volleyball coach Tom Hilbert talks to the players after the game against the Air Force Academy. (Jordan Reyes | Collegian)

Competition for the Rams will begin after spring break on March 24 when they travel to Greeley, Colo. to face the Northern Colorado Bears. CSU played the Bears in the fall season and won with a straight-set victory.

The next stop will be in Kansas with matchups against Wichita State and Kansas, two teams that joined CSU in the 2017 NCAA tournament last fall. The Shockers have been a powerhouse in the volleyball world and came to Fort Collins two seasons ago and helped give CSU one of their highest-attended matches ever.

These matches will both take place on March 31, but the time is still yet to be announced.

Spring will end with two different kinds of homecomings. The first will be on April 7 when the Rams head to Bayfield, Colo. to take on Northern Arizona. Bayfield is the hometown of current Rams Kirstie Hillyer and Maddi Foutz. These two have both described how camps put on by head coach Tom Hilbert in their hometown helped lead to their decision to become Rams.

A week later, the Rams will return to play in Fort Collins against the rival Colorado Buffaloes, who reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament in the fall. CU also came into Fort Collins and defeated the Rams in a five-set thriller in 2017 despite CSU taking the first two sets. The loss was the first time the Rams had lost at home to an in-state opponent under Hilbert.

The match against the Bears will start at 10:30 a.m. and the fans can catch the matchup with CU at 10 a.m. on April 14.

Collegian sports reporter Austin White can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @ajwrules44.