Herz: Butler has emerged as a trusted scorer off the bench for CSU

Devocio Butler has put up legitimate scoring numbers as of late to emerge as a real threat off the bench for Colorado State.

In his most recent outing, the Hill College transfer had a career performance. Though he once again came off the bench for CSU, Butler led the Rams with 30 minutes against Northern Colorado. Butler posted a career-high in points with 19 to lead CSU in scoring. The six rebounds gathered by Butler in the 81-64 victory were also a career-high

“I’m just playing in the flow of the game and taking what I can get,” Butler said. “I’m not trying to force anything, I’m just playing within our offense.”

The Atlanta, Georgia native went 7-of-12 from the floor against the Bears and made seven of his first eight field goal attempts. He also hit a career-high three three-pointers. His previous high was two against the Wichita State Shockers.

Despite contributing his best performance since transferring to CSU, Butler, who’s twitter handle is @imnotexcited, is far from satisfied.

“I’m not excited yet,” Butler said. “We’ve got to get a ring first.”

Though he has yet to start a game, the double-digit scoring performance against UNC for Butler marks the fourth consecutive game in which he has scored at least 12 points. Butler has now reached double-figures in six out of the Rams last seven games.

In addition to his consistent high-scoring, his efficiency shooting the ball from anywhere on the court puts him in serious contention to start CSU’s next game against Kansas State on Dec. 17.

The junior guard has shot nearly 50 percent through 10 games this season. He has converted 28-of-58 shot attempts from the floor, putting him at 48.3 percent on the year. In his last four games, Butler has shot the ball at 58.6 percent.

Butler has also been valuable to CSU from beyond the arc as well as from the free-throw line. He has cashed in 10-of-25 (40 percent) three-point attempts this season. As a team, the Rams are only shooting about 30 percent from three-point range.

In terms of free throws, Butler has made each of his 19 attempts from the stripe in his last six games. Overall, Butler is 22-23 from the line this season.

“Wherever coach wants me to play I’m gonna play,” Butler said. “I just want to be on the floor. And I just want to win. That’s what it’s all about, winning.”

Butler is without a doubt the hottest shooter on CSU right now. Given that the Rams often struggle to shoot the ball consistently, Butler’s chances at earning his first career start in a crucial matchup against Kansas State seem likely.

Collegian sports reporter Eddie Herz can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Eddie_Herz