Brian Roth takes over play-by-play duties for 2016-17 seasons

Brian Roth will be the official voice of the CSU Rams, taking over the play-by-play duties for both football and men’s basketball, Colorado State and Learfield’s Rams Sports Properties announced Friday.

Roth, who served as the color commentator for the past three seasons, will be taking over for Gary Miller, who the school announced would not be returning last spring. Roth’s duties as the radio voice of the Rams, also includes hosting the Rams’ various coaches shows.

“Brian Roth has been an integral part of the radio broadcasts of Colorado State football and basketball games for nearly two decades,” CSU Athletic Director Joe Parker said. 

“We are excited to have Brian return to the play-by-play position for football and men’s basketball broadcasts, and to host our weekly coaches’ radio shows. He is not only a talented broadcaster but an important asset to our athletics programs with his proven relationships in the Colorado State University community.”

In Roth’s first season back as the play-by-play man for Colorado State’s radio broadcasts, the Rams also will have a new home on the airwaves. Fort Collins-based Townsquare Media Northern Colorado’s KARS “Rock 102.9” FM will serve as the Rams’ flagship station, and the Denver-area affiliate Mile High Sports KDCO 1340 AM and 104.7 FM will carry all football and men’s basketball games, along with select women’s basketball games.

“I could not be more excited to return as the Voice of the Rams,” Roth said. “For the past 16 years, I have seen this university and athletic department thrive, turning Colorado State into a national brand. From the record-breaking fundraising and construction of the on-campus stadium to the unprecedented success on the field and court, there has never been a more thrilling time to be a Ram fan. Colorado State has always been a very special place to me and I hope to share my passion and perspective on Rams athletics for many years to come.”

Rams football will kick off the 2016 season on the Rams Radio Network with the annual Rocky Mountain Showdown against Colorado on Friday Sept. 2. 

Collegian sports reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JustinTMichael.