Keys with Keegs: San Diego State vs. Colorado State women’s hoops

Colorado State brings its undefeated Mountain West record and second-best start in school history back to Moby Arena Wednesday for a matchup with San Diego State. The Lady Aztecs, who sit in 10th place in the Mountain West standings, come into the game at 6-20 overall and 1-8 in the league, just ahead of winless Air Force. 

Colorado State forward Keyora Wharry drives to the basket during CSU's win over Wyoming Saturday at Moby Arena. (Keegan Pope/Collegian)
Colorado State forward Keyora Wharry drives to the basket during CSU’s win over Wyoming Saturday at Moby Arena. (Keegan Pope/Collegian.)

SDSU gave the Rams a run for their money in their last meeting, though, with CSU barely squeaking out a 60-57 win in San Diego. Here are the keys for the Rams to avoid an upset and remain undefeated. 

Don’t overlook San Diego State

On paper, this game is an absolute mismatch. CSU comes into the game at 18-1, having won 15 in a row, while the Aztecs have lost eight straight after winning their MW opener against Wyoming. The Rams have been good at handling inferior teams this season, but SDSU will be hungry to get back in the win column. CSU is riding high after a dominant win over Border War rival Wyoming, and if the Rams can continue that momentum, they should have no problem with the Lady Aztecs. 

Continue defensive dominance

CSU is one of the best teams in the country on defense, while the Lady Aztecs are one of the worst on offense. Five times in their last six games, SDSU has been held under 60 points. CSU’s length and athleticism allows them to rotate multiple players onto a team’s best player, in this case McKynzie Fort, who averages 14.4 points per game, good for sixth in the Mountain West. Expect Keyora Wharry and Jamie Patrick to be matched up with Fort, and if they can eliminate her as a scoring threat, CSU shouldn’t have any problem putting up enough points to win this one. 

Collegian Senior Sports Reporter Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope.