Briefs: Stevens earns honors, Bibbs on Broncos’ practice squad

CSU quarterback Nick Stevens named MW Offensive Player of the Week

The season got off to a good start for sophomore quarterback Nick Stevens as he was named the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week.

The Rams’ new shot caller made quite the debut as the starter, tossing five touchdowns in the team’s 65-13 win in the season opener against Savannah State. Stevens exited the game in the third quarter with the game safely in hand so that backup Coleman Key could gain some experience.

This is the second year that a Colorado State University player has taken home the award in the first week of the season. Former running back Dee Hart earned the honor after his performance in the Rocky Mountain Showdown last year. Stevens’ predecessor Garrett Grayson won the award in 2014 as well.

Stevens completed 20 of his 28 passing attempts in Saturday’s opener for 289 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions.

CSU volleyball team falls to No. 14 in latest AVCA poll

The Rams dropped from No. 9 to No. 14 in the most recent AVCA Division I Coaches’ Top 25 Poll.

CSU suffered its first defeat of the season Friday when the team was swept by No. 15 Arizona State. The Sun Devils jumped to No. 10 in the latest poll.

Other ranked opponents on CSU’s schedule include No. 4 Texas (Sept. 13) and No. 25 Texas A&M (Sept. 15).

Following the loss to ASU, the Rams rebounded Saturday with a sweep of Western Michigan. CSU returns to action 7 p.m. Tuesday against Northern Colorado at Moby Arena.

Kapri Bibbs signed to Denver Broncos practice squad

Former CSU running back Kapri Bibbs did not make the Denver Broncos’ final 53-man roster Saturday, but was signed to the team’s 10-man practice squad Monday.

The Broncos waived Montee Ball Sunday, so Bibbs essentially becomes the team’s fourth option at running back and will have a decent chance of making it onto the roster at some point during the season. Bibbs was called up from the Broncos’ practice squad last season, and spent a month on the active roster.

Bibbs saw action in Denver’s final 2015 preseason game, rushing for 27 yards on six carries. In 2013, his lone season at CSU, Bibbs set the school’s single season record with 1,741 rushing yards. He also ran for 31 touchdowns that year, making him one of only three running backs in NCAA history to rush for 30-plus touchdowns in a single season, joining Ball (39) and Barry Sanders (37).

Collegian Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.