Seniors Mestdagh, Wells to forgo senior seasons

Colorado State forward Victoria Wells, along with guard Hanne Mestdagh, will forgo her senior season at CSU.

Colorado State women’s basketball Head Coach Ryun Williams announced Monday that Hanne Mestdagh and Victoria Wells have decided to forgo their final year eligibility, and graduate this May.

Both athletes are seniors academically, and are on track to receive bachelor’s degrees at the conclusion of the spring semester. Mestdagh (2012-13) and Wells (2013-14) each received medical hardship waivers to recover from surgery.

Mestdagh has signed with the Royal Castors Braine club team in her home country of Belgium, where her sister, Kim, had played for the past two seasons.

“Hanne and Victoria have chosen to forgo their senior season at CSU, and pursue other career opportunities,” Williams said in a release. “I’m proud that they are both going to earn degrees from Colorado State University. Hanne has an incredible opportunity to pursue a professional career in her home country, and we couldn’t be happier for her. We wish both of them nothing but success, and thank them both for the effort that they gave our program.”

Mestdagh led the team from beyond the arc last season with 61 3-pointers on the year. In 30 games, she averaged 6.8 points per contest, shooting 37.0 percent from downtown.

Wells is in search of graduate school opportunities closer to her hometown of Los Angeles. She was regarded as CSU’s best on-ball defender, posting 28 steals and 54 assists, while averaging 4.5 rebounds per game.

Collegian Sports Editor Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope