Notes and Quotes: Short-handed CSU knocks off Fresno State 71-59

Rams set new mark

With their win over Fresno State Thursday night, CSU broke its previous school record of 26 wins, which was set by the 2012-13 team that advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Ram guards Daniel Bejarano and Joe De Ciman, who are the winningest three-year players in program history, are the only players to have played on both teams.

Top teams advance

All four of the top seeds, Boise State, San Diego State, Wyoming and Colorado State, all advanced to the semifinals with their wins Thursday. This is the third time in the last four years that the four top seeds have advanced out of the quarterfinal round.

Colorado State forward JJ Avila is attended to by trainers during the Rams' 71-59 win over Fresno State Thursday. (Photo by Keith Albertson)
Colorado State forward JJ Avila is attended to by trainers during the Rams’ 71-59 win over Fresno State Thursday. (Photo by Keith Albertson)

Avila leaves game, status doubtful

CSU forward JJ Avila, who leads the team in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage and steals, was injured when he rolled his ankle with 6:45 to play in the first half. Avila is questionable for the Rams’ match-up with San Diego State, according to head coach Larry Eustachy.

Rams look for elusive semifinal win

Colorado State will look for its first semifinal round win since 2003 when they take on San Diego State. The Rams have been to the semifinals three out of the last four seasons, but have failed to advance to the championship game since they won their lone Mountain West title more than 10 years ago.

They said it: “We have as much respect for Fresno State as any team in the league.  They play hard.  They compete.  They’re really well‑coached. They beat Boise State and they beat San Diego State, and that says enough.  It’s a blow when you don’t expect somebody like one of these three (Avila, Stanton Kidd, Bejarano), happened to be J.J. this time, go down.  The character, it has been these two and J.J. all year long.  I’ve just been along for the ride.  They’ve shown great character and unbelievable coachability. It’s one of my top experiences as a coach, tonight was, in a long career.  I’m very proud of these guys.”
– CSU head coach Larry Eustachy