Colorado State tight end Kivon Cartwright granted medical hardship, will return for 2015

After playing in just one game last season due to a foot injury, Colorado State tight end Kivon Cartwright was granted a medical hardship Monday afternoon and will return for a sixth year of eligibility in the 2015 season. The redshirt senior from Pueblo, Colorado sat out for nearly the entire 2014 season after his foot did not heal properly following surgery.

On Dec. 22, the Mountain West granted the tight end a medical hardship waiver. Since he only played in one game, Cartwright met the requirements for a medical hardship waiver, a necessary step to pursue an extension of eligibility waiver. Athletes who apply for a medical hardship waiver cannot have competed in more than 20 percent of the team’s contests during the season.

Once that was received, CSU applied for the extension of eligibility waiver with the NCAA, which is only approved for student-athletes who have lost two seasons of competition for reasons beyond their control. As a true freshman in 2010, Cartwright did not play because of a knee injury and used that year as a redshirt season.

“I’m so excited to play again and to be a part of Colorado State,” Cartwright said in a statement released by the University. “I’ll get another year, another season around the guys and my brothers who I’ve grown so close to. I’m amazed right now. I’m so thankful for everybody that worked hard through this process. God is good, God is always good. Through the ups and the downs, He’ll never leave you, nor forsake you. I’m so blessed. Blessed to be a part of the program for another year.”

As a junior in 2013, Cartwright earned honorable mention All-Mountain West honors while catching 27 passes for 462 yards and six touchdowns. Before the 2014 season, Cartwright was named as a preseason First Team All-MW selection and was also named to the John Mackey Award watch list as one of the nation’s premier tight ends.

In his absence last season, junior college transfer Steven Walker garnered First Team All-MW honors. Along with Cartwright and Walker, CSU also returns letterman Nolan Peralta while also adding Vanderbilt transfer Mitch Parsons.

Collegian Sports Editor Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope.