CSU softball falls to .500 on the season against No. 9 Texas A&M

Kendal Butterfield makes contact against UNLV Thursday evening. The Rams won 2- 0.

The CSU softball team came into this weekend looking to catapult its program against No. 9 Texas A&M and continue a six game winning streak.

After a tough weekend at the plate, the Rams came home empty handed with three losses.

The Rams fell to the Aggies in game one 10-0 while struggling to get on base in any way possible.

Continuing to go three up, three down, CSU did not struggle with swinging the bats, they struggled with making contact on the ball.

“We had a hard time putting the ball in play,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “We are swinging at pitches out of the zone.”

CSU lost game two 3-1 after a walk off home run in the sixth inning and game three 10-2 to even out its record at 17-17 and 3-0 in MW play.

“When you go against those tough teams, it will continue to be close,” Fisher said. “We know our defense will be there for us…hitting will come around.”

With a lack of offensive drive, CSU relied on their defense for support. It was the reason the Rams stayed in game two.

Senior Kacie McCarthy gave the Rams their best shot for a win in that game by shutting down the Aggies powerhouse line up. She allowed three earned runs on four hits in her six innings of work.

“When Kacie throws, she is not super flashy, just gets the job done,” Fisher said. “She is such a presence on the field for us. She really gave our team a chance in game two. When the pitcher is working efficiently, the defense works well too.”

Unfortunately a tough presence on the mound is not enough to defeat a top ranked team like Texas A&M. It takes putting runners on base and CSU couldn’t accomplish that

After the tough weekend for the CSU softball team both statistically and emotionally, the Rams now turn their dedication to conference play this weekend where they look to redeem themselves on the road.

CSU will take on Nevada on Friday at 4p.m. for a three game series in Reno. This is the second series of MW play for the Rams after they swept UNLV two weeks ago.

Softball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.