CSU football adds 2011 top Colorado recruit Joey O’Connor

o'conner mugIt seemed CSU coach Jim McElwain’s first full year of recruiting was over, but Wednesday afternoon, the Rams managed to land a potential game-changer on the offensive line.

Joey O’Connor, an offensive tackle who won a class 3A state championship in 2011 at Windsor High School, decided to transfer to CSU from Ohio State, it was announced around 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Upon graduation, O’Connor was named as the No. 12 offensive line recruit by Rivals.com and a four-star recruit. He was also named as the top overall prospect from the state of Colorado by ESPNU.

O’Connor redshirted his first year with the Buckeyes  last year after suffering a season-ending knee injury in fall camp.

In a statement, McElwain attributed the decision by O’Connor to transfer stemmed from his desire to play out his college football career closer to home.

“He has chosen to come back to Colorado, and be closer to home,” McElwain said.  “And the fact that he chose Colorado State speaks volumes about this university and the outstanding things happening in our football program.”

The 6-foot-3, 205 pound tackle will have to sit out the 2013 season with the Rams due to NCAA transfer rules, but will add depth to the offensive line next year.

Assistant Sports Editor Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com