LTTE: My summer at CSU Spur, Hydro facility opening

Collegian | Trin Bonner

Guest Author

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board. Letters to the Editor reflect the view of a member of the campus community and are submitted to the publication for approval.

When I was a third-year business major at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado, in the spring of 2022, life was moving very fast. I was balancing a heavy class load and working 15-20 hours a week.

The summer months were on the horizon, and I had not yet secured an internship when I came across an open position at CSU Spur. I decided to investigate further, but little did I know at the time that this was going to be such an engaging and rewarding experience.

CSU Spur is the newest campus within the CSU System and was being developed within the National Western Center in Denver to conduct research and provide learning opportunities to the public. Research is focused on food and agriculture, animal and human health and water sustainability.

With a sustainable water interdisciplinary minor, I am very passionate about water-related topics and was immediately attracted to this position. After several interviews, I had been accepted for the position, and while my exact responsibilities were not fully defined at the time, I knew that being onsite throughout the week and supporting any aspect of the research and education would be very fulfilling.

A day at CSU Spur has something for all ages. It’s a laboratory, veterinary clinic, art studio, classroom, garden and innovation center all in one — and it’s free to the public.

Learning opportunities are provided in the form of classes, camps and specific research programs offered to students, faculty members and the public.

If you’re just in for a visit, you can enjoy a relaxing day observing art, taking a cooking class, talking to experts about growing your own food, strolling over to The Dumb Friends League Veterinary Clinic to watch a live surgical operation or witnessing horses rehabilitating on an underwater treadmill.

“Hydro is Greek for water and will highlight water-focused exhibits, educational programs, event space, art studios, a farm-to-table café and a state-of-the-art water quality lab in partnership with Denver Water.”

If the outdoors is more your style, walk or bike along the newly restored South Platte River or explore the rooftop greenhouses in the Terra facility.

When I arrived for my first day of work, it became very apparent that this job was going to be anything but routine. I was quickly indoctrinated in all areas of research and learning. During my tenure, I was given the opportunity to work with amazing teams across CSU departments and industry partnerships.

Communicating and educating multigenerational visitors on these important topics was very pleasing. Each day, I witnessed the energy as the campus sprang to life with new visitors and new activities.

As much fun as I had during the summer of 2022 at CSU Spur, this is only the beginning. In January, CSU Spur opened its Hydro facility in conjunction with the National Western Stock Show. Hydro is Greek for water and will highlight water-focused exhibits, educational programs, event space, art studios, a farm-to-table café and a state-of-the-art water quality lab in partnership with Denver Water. 

With all that CSU Spur has to offer, I highly encourage our community to plan a visit, as you will come away in awe from what you will see and learn. I am now back at school finishing my degree and preparing to graduate.

I have many fond memories of this past summer and know I will return to CSU Spur as a visitor and one day take my family to this Colorado gem with the hope that they will come away with the same feelings I have.

Champ Lindahl,

CSU senior

Send letters to letters@collegian.com. When submitting letters, please abide by the guidelines listed at collegian.com.