Letters: Don’t be dis-empowered by hate speech

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board. Letters to the Editor reflect the view of a member of the campus community and are submitted to the publication for approval.

First of all, I appreciate CSU’s policy on the free speech space. I think the only way we can ever really stop hate speech is by education, by starting a discussion. This is an incredibly hard thing to do and last week’s controversy with Brother Jed and his followers proves that without a doubt.

However, there were so many of us out on the plaza that day, standing in solidarity with each other. Supporting one another. Listening to one another’s stories. That is a beautiful thing. Be proud of that and proud of each other. 

To those who were hurt and upset, do not ever let anyone make you feel less than who you are.

You are loved, you are valued, and you do not have to validate who you are or how you live to anyone. Know this, you are deserving of respect, honor and courtesy as much as anyone else. Your life is your’s and no one can take your power from you. Ever. I encourage you to be proud of who you are and to always strive to grow as a person. 

We are all different. That is one of the reasons I chose to go to this school. Diversity is what makes this world beautiful. We may come from every region of the world, be of every color, every belief, and when we stand together in solidarity, nothing will ever stop us.

I am writing this to empower each and every one of you to connect. A community is when we all work together. We don’t have to agree with each other on everything, we just have to support, care, and respect each other. To stand up for each other when people try to disempower us because no one has that right.

Penelope Davis 

Sophmore 
International Studies

The Collegian’s opinion desk can be reached at letters@collegian.com. To submit a letter to the editor, please follow the guidelines at collegian.com.