Read, White and Blue

To be perfectly honest, I just wanted to make that horrible pun. The opportunity does not present itself as often as one may think so I needed to seize it. Unfortunately I couldn’t really think of a theme to go along with the pun. So for today, I am going to just list off ten books by American authors that I love and would highly recommend to anyone looking for something to read.

1. Franny and Zooey- J.D. Salinger

Everyone always reads Catcher in The Rye but I actually enjoyed this one even more. Plus, it is a great introduction to the Glass family.

2. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky

A quick but powerful read. Plus the movie is coming out this fall so check out the book first.

3. A Separate Peace- John Knowles

A classic that in my opinion does not get enough recognition as it should.

4. The Beautiful and Damned- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Like with Catcher in The Rye and Franny and Zooey, everyone always seems to stop at The Great Gatsby. While fiction, The Beautiful and Damned shines some light on Fitzgerald and his marriage to Zelda.

5. Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children- Ransom Riggs

Obviously

6. The Fault In Our Stars- John Green

John Green’s latest. A female protagonist this time. Get ready to cry. Not that I did.

7. The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

It’s short and it packs a punch. I read it every few months.

8. Breakfast At Tiffany’s- Truman Capote

Very different from the movie. Once you read the book you will see why Capote envisioned Marilyn Monroe as Holly Golightly.

9. The Portable Dorothy Parker- Dorothy Parker

Technically it is a collection of short stories and poems, but it is still one of my favorites.

10. The Time Traveller’s Wife- Audrey Niffenegger

If you watched the movie and you were confused, read the book. You’ll still be confused but it’s worth it.