Debt Management Strategies for Responsible Financial Planning

Imagine this: you've aced your finals, scored that summer internship, and finally have some financial freedom. Maybe you're toying with the idea...

This week in ASCSU: Elections manager, Women’s Caucus

(Graphic Illustration by Christine Moore-Bonbright | The Collegian)

The Associated Students of Colorado State University convened Oct. 18 for the ninth session of the 53rd senate.

The meeting began with a thorough presentation from Estes Park Mayor and CSU Alumnus Wendy Koenig, who educated senate on her career as an Olympic athlete and audiologist, detailed her political experience at the local level and provided insight into the student government process. 

“I think the job of mayor is to build people up, and that’s what I try to do,” Koenig said.

Executive reports followed, with Director of International Affairs Joseph Godshall and Chief of Staff Braxton Dietz updating senate on international student accommodations initiatives and upcoming ASCSU community events.  

During judicial reports, Chief Justice Alayna Truxal provided updates concerning supreme court ratifications and upcoming processes. 

Moving into confidence business, the ratification of the elections manager took place. 

The elections manager is responsible for the oversight of annual ASCSU elections processes, ensuring the voting process remains fair and reliable and facilitating increased student body participation. 

Initiatives regarding the implementation of the rank-choice voting system into the ASCSU election process were discussed during the 52nd senate, but such a system is unlikely to be utilized in the upcoming elections in March. 

Sophomore Kaitlyn Spencer was nominated for the position.

“It has always been part of my principle that each and every person has a value to their voice,” Spencer said. “Part of what I’m trying to do, especially this year with the elections committee, is try to open up that voice to even more students.”

After a short period of debate, Spencer was approved with unanimous consent. 

The ratification of associate justice also took place.

Associate justices are responsible for acting within the ASCSU supreme court to promote campus events, oversee elections and decide constitutional questions within ASCSU. 

Junior Briery McCoy was nominated for the position.

“I’m really excited to learn more about this organization and work with my fellow justices,” McCoy said.

McCoy was approved with unanimous consent. 

To end the session, Bill #5309, “Changing Women’s Caucus” was introduced. 

The legislation seeks to rename the Women’s Caucus as the Women and Social Justice Caucus in order to reaffirm the caucus’ commitment to social and political activism.

The legislative authors believe the rebranding will expand the scope of the caucus and reach additional students in need of representation and community.

The bill will be sent to the Internal Affairs Committee and the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. 

ASCSU senate will resume Oct. 25.

Reach Sam Hutton at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Sam_Hut14.