Poudre Library District earns first Star Library designation

poudre library
The front entrance of Poudre River Public Library near Old Town Feb. 8. (Anna Tomka | The Collegian)

Amid the challenges of the pandemic, the Poudre River Public Library District received at least one spark of good news: The district had achieved a three-star library status in the 2020 Library Journal Index.

The Poudre River Public Library District made the America’s Star Libraries list for the first time this year, making the district one of only 11 Star Libraries in the state. Also new to the list this year were Denver Public Library and Boulder Public Library.

At the end of the day, you know, outputs are nice and it’s good to know that we’re a busy library, but our goal is just to help serve the community the best we can.”-David Slivken, executive director of the PRPLD

The ratings are based on 2019 per capita measurements of how much the local population uses the library’s different services, including program attendance and WiFi sessions as well as physical and electronic circulation, according to the Library Journal.

PRPLD was one of the highest ranking three-star libraries in the $10 million to $29.9 million range, covering over 200,000 people in its jurisdiction. 

“At the end of the day, you know, outputs are nice and it’s good to know that we’re a busy library, but our goal is just to help serve the community the best we can,” said David Slivken, executive director of the PRPLD. 

Because the ranking data comes from Fiscal Year 2018 reports by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, it does not account for the impacts of COVID-19. However, the library district has made drastic changes to support Fort Collins residents during the pandemic. 

Poudre River Public Library COVID-19 regulations outside the main entrance Feb. 9. (Anna Tomka | The Collegian)

When shutdowns struck last March, PRPLD rebooted their pandemic plans from the 2012 SARS pandemic, according to Slivken. Using local health and public safety guidance, they established six levels of library service from level one (complete shutdown) to level six (complete reopening).

Currently, Slivken said the libraries are at level four — open but built for grab-and-go style services. That means limited capacity and no public gathering. Their full modifications can be found on their website.

The library has also expanded their range of services for pandemic life, including:

Slivken said PRPLD even altered their strategic plan to refocus on supporting community needs, starting with K-12 education, small business and nonprofit support, new health programs and equity, diversity and inclusion programs.

CSU students can access the library services by registering their RamCards as public library cards. Visit the Morgan Library website for instructions.

Samantha Ye can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @samxye4.