CSU online business programs rank No. 1

The current main entrance Rockwell Hall, home of the College of Business, is photographed blanketed in snow, Oct. 28. The previous main entrance was a few yards west of today’s. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

Colorado State University students take pride in the nationally recognized online Master of Business Administration and online Master of Computer Information Systems programs.

CSU’s College of Business’ online MBA and online MCIS programs were recently ranked first in Colorado by U.S. News and World Report. The online MBA also ranked in the top 35 public programs nationwide and No. 21 for programs for veterans.

Beth Walker, dean of the College of Business, explained that the online MBA stands out nationally for three main reasons. They include the long-standing leadership in distance education, a student-centric approach and the program’s format and schedule flexibility.

“We have been leaders and pioneers in distance education for over 50 years,” Walker said.

Students can choose which of three platforms — on demand, online synchronous or in person — best fits their circumstances.

We will continue to innovate our course, programs and approaches to learning to prepare the next generation of leaders to use business to create a better world.” -Beth Walker, the dean of the College of Business

“From when I started up until now, generally I’ve had a very positive experience because of the flexibility,” said Logan McKenna, a student in the online MBA program. “I definitely like the fact that the videos are recorded or I have the option of watching the classes live if I am around. That’s helped me out with my work schedule.”

Students also have access to faculty and staff in the College of Business from the time they enroll in the program until their graduation. This has enabled the online MBA program to become one of the largest in the nation that still meets the needs of each student in the program.

“The College of Business is super active,” said Heather Short, another student in the online MBA program. “Any question you have, they work very hard to ensure that it is answered, that you feel supported.”

According to Walker and McKenna, students also take pride in being in a program that has been nationally recognized.

“It’s definitely a privilege to be able to attend a school and program that takes pride in the quality of an educational experience, and it also makes me proud that they continue to build upon their successes,” McKenna said.

When asked what it means to her to be in a program with such high rankings, Short explained that the rankings make her feel like she’s getting a quality education and that she can apply what she’s learning to her life.

“I can actually physically see it being used in my everyday life through the different classes, the different elements that I’m learning,” Short said. “I can apply it immediately.”

Walker said that the high ranking also elevates the national visibility of the online MBA and MCIS programs, enhances their reputation among students and peer institutions and increases communitywide pride.

Walker also said the most important thing is the students’ experiences in the programs. From what McKenna has gathered, the program does implement suggestions of changes from previous students.

“It makes me really proud to be able to attend a University that takes students’ opinions into account,” McKenna said.

Walker said that the College of Business will continue to evolve. The College of Business implemented the new Mosaic digital learning platform to continue to lead distance education.

“We will continue to innovate our course, programs and approaches to learning to prepare the next generation of leaders to use business to create a better world,” Walker said.

Piper Russell can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @PiperRussell10.