CSU community honored at Celebrate! Colorado State ceremony

Professors, faculty, students and staff were honored for their achievements in research, teaching and service at the annual Celebrate! Colorado State awards ceremony Thursday. 

48 individual members, four teams, two community organizations and four university programs received awards during the program, which took place in the Grand Ballroom of the Lory Student Center.

Unable to attend the ceremony, Colorado State University President Tony Frank sent a video recognizing the achievements of the honorees.

woman wins award
Jan Iron is given the Multicultural Staff and Faculty Network Distinguished Service Award by Patricia Vigil in the LSC Grand Ballroom. (Ryan Schmidt | Collegian)

“Every single person we honor today has made an impact that warranted the gratitude and respect of colleagues, students and peers,” Frank said. “Every person we honor today has been singled out for going above and beyond and raising the bar in terms of service and achievement.”

Originally scheduled to take place on April 10, the awards ceremony was moved to May 9 due to weather conditions, according to SOURCE.

28 different types of awards were given to honorees, according to SOURCE. Five of these awards were amongst the most prestigious of CSU’s honors and included the Scholarship Impact Award, the BoG Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award and the titles of University Distinguished Professor, University Distinguished Teaching Scholar and Monfort Professor. Seven people received these awards and titles. 

“I think a lot of getting this kind of award, especially if you’re older like I am, is to look for opportunities to uplift others and recognize them.” – Fred Haberecht, campus planner for CSU Facilities Management

After being named one of this year’s University Distinguished Professors, anthropology professor Katherine Browne explained how her studies in anthropology led her to commit to sharing her knowledge with others.

“It’s an auspicious time to be an anthropologist,” Browne said. “Disasters are increasing in scale and in frequency and impacting hundreds of millions of people every year. In my work, I’ve learned suffering that people experience is caused less by the natural hazard than by the social systems we create and reproduce.”

Campus Planner for Facilities Management Fred Haberecht received the Distinguished Administrative Professional Award and the Spirit of Philanthropy Award. One of two honorees to receive more than one award, Haberecht expressed how honored he felt and what message he thought the awards meant.

woman wins award
Dan Bush gives Mary Ontiveros the Oliver P. Pennock Distinguished Service Award in the LSC Grand Ballroom.(Ryan Schmidt | Collegian)

“I think a lot of getting this kind of award, especially if you’re older like I am, is to look for opportunities to uplift others and recognize them,” Haberecht said. “It’s incumbent upon me to uplift others, recognize them and create opportunities for them.”

In closing, Frank expressed his gratitude towards the recipients in his last days as president of CSU.

“I can’t stand there on the stage today for the one last time as president of Colorado State University, but believe me when I say that I will always celebrate Colorado State and especially all of you,” Frank said. “Thank you and congratulations.”

The complete list of awards and recipients can be found on SOURCE

Meagan Stackpool can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @MeaganStackpool.