Fort Collins Police arrest man barricaded in home

On March 21, 2018, 43-year old Joseph Norrie was arrested by Fort Collins Police after barricading himself in his home, where he threatened to hurt himself as well as threatening to ignite a room filled with gas. 

At 2:12 p.m., FCPD received a call regarding a disturbance at the Skyline Trailer Park, located at 2211 W. Mulberry St. Officers located Norrie at a home that belonged to a family member, according to a press release by the city of Fort Collins. 

Norrie barricaded himself in the house, threatening to harm himself with a knife, as he refused the commands from police to exit the home. While on the scene, officers detected an odor of gas coming from the home. Norrie threatened to ignite the gas, causing officers to evacuate the surrounding residence.

Xcel Energy and Poudre Fire Authority responded to assist with the gas, joined by FCPS SWAT who responded to assist in resolving the incident.

The gas line to the house was cut off, and several hours later Norrie exited the residence, but was uncooperative with officers on scene.

“A less-lethal device was deployed to gain his compliance, and officers were able to safely take him into custody at 4:52 p.m.,” explained the press release. 

While clearing the residence, officers found that Norrie had started a fire inside the home, but fire responders were able to extinguish the fire. No other people were in the home during the incident.

Norrie was transported and booked at Larimer County Jail on charges of CRS 18-3-208 Reckless Endangerment, a class three misdemeanor and CRS 18-9-119(2) Refusal to Leave Premise Upon Request of a Police officer, also a class three misdemeanor. 

The investigation of the incident is currently on-going, and additional charges are expected to be filed with the Larimer County District Attorney’s Office sometime in the near future. 

Collegian reporter Austin Fleskes can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Austinfleskes07.