CSU Health Network, School of Music, Theater, and Dance ask for fee increases

The Student Fee Review Board met early Monday evening to discuss fee proposals from the Colorado State University Health Network and the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance.

Image of vice president of ASCSU sitting at desk in Student Fee Review Board meeting.
Cole Wise, vice president of ASCSU, speaks at the Student Fee Review Board Meeting Monday afternoon. In the meeting, budget costs for various organizations were discussed, including the counseling budget and medical budget of the CSU Health Network. (Erica Giesenhagen | Collegian)

The proposals came from Anne Hudgens, executive director of the Colorado State University Health Network and from Director of the School of Music, Theatre and Dance Dan Goble, Budget Director Sheryl Highsmith and Creative Director Mike Solo of SMTD.

Hudgens reviewed the finances of the Student Counseling Services and medical budget.

SFRB members found the increased engagement and revenue for the Student Counseling Services hopeful and reassuring.

While Hudgens claimed that having both establishments as one administrative unit is more cost-effective, the Health Network made a proposal for a 2.94 percent increase in fees. This would amount to $1.38 increase and would go to staff salaries and benefits.

The Student Counseling Services relies on an academic year staff in order to fulfill the increased student demand as the school year progresses.

“We’re asking only for the mandatory costs,” Hudgens said in reference to the counseling services.

There was no request for a medical budget increase. In fact, the expectation for insurance at CSU has led to greater revenue and reduced pressure on student fees.

“The pressure on the student fee was unsustainable so what the University wanted to do was to reduce the pressure of the student fees,” Hudgens said. “This will be the fourth year that we have not asked for a fee increase.”

Hudgens said the medical faction of the Health Network is in no need of student fees in order to maintain the student health services.

Goble, Highsmith and Solo proposed an increase in fees for mandatory class-related funds and minimum wage for the School of Music, Theatre and Dance.

“We have roughly 600 majors, including graduate programs at the [University Center for the Arts],” Goble said when asked about the programs the UCA funded. “It funds staff salaries, student workers, hourly and work-study salaries.”

The UCA also hosts roughly 250 free events over the year for students.

SFRB used the time to ask about marketing plans and the ratio of students to outside audience members.

Solo answered questions about the marketing timeline, focusing on the center’s digital magazine, “The Green Room” and the opportunities that arise during Ram Welcome and UCA events.

As for the student ratios, much of it depended on event content, but according to Solo, there has been a 40 percent increase in student attendance as a result of the UCA not charging students for event tickets.

SFRB is expected to vote on the proposals from the Health Network and the School of Music, Theatre and Dance at their meeting next week, and they will hear proposals from Ram Ride and Off-Campus Life.

Collegian reporter Charlotte Lang can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @ChartrickWrites.