High speed chase near Mulberry Street leads to Loveland arrest

The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office arrested 28-year old Anthony Chavez after a high speed chase Sunday evening led him from Fort Collins to Loveland.

According to a report by the LCSO, at around 6:34 p.m., an LCSO deputy attempted to stop a 1996 Chevrolet sedan for traffic violations at Frontage Road and East Mulberry Street in Fort Collins. The driver of the sedan failed to stop, ran multiple stop signs on side streets, and eventually headed southbound on Interstate 25 at speeds reaching 95 mph.

At 6:46 p.m., deputies discontinued their pursuit of the suspect when he exited I-25 at East Eisenhower Boulevard in Loveland, an area where traffic was more congested. 

Around 10 minutes later, Loveland police located the vehicle in question, heading eastbound on East Eisenhower Boulevard, as the vehicle approached I-25. 

LCSO reported that the vehicle displayed a different license plate that was reported to be stolen.

LCSO deputies again attempted to stop Chavez as he continued to flee eastbound on Highway 34 into Weld County, eventually heading westbound after making a U-turn. The use of spike strips, deployed by Colorado State Patrol troopers, LCSO deputies and Loveland police, proved successful in popping the suspect’s tires.

After trying to turn northbound onto Centerra Parkway, but unable to due to the flat tires, the suspect struck a curb and crashed into a median. 

Chavez was taken into custody without incident, and an adult female passenger of the vehicle was detained and later released. Chavez has been book on allegations of vehicular eluding, a class 5 felony; theft of motor vehicle parts, a class 1 felony; and multiple traffic offenses. Deputies also found stolen construction equipment in the suspect’s vehicle, and an investigation of the property is ongoing. 

Collegian reporter Austin Fleskes can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Austinfleskes07.