Car chase on I-25 involves three stolen vehicles, speeds upwards of 90 mph

A 19-year-old man was arrested Wednesday after crashing two stolen vehicles and driving three over 90 miles per hour into oncoming traffic.

Multiple law enforcement agencies engaged in the high-speed car chase involving a stolen white Jeep Wrangler, a white Chevy pickup and a white Oldsmobile from Fort Collins to Longmont and back to Loveland.

The suspect, Dylan Unruh, is suspected of driving under the influence of illegal narcotics.

Around 3 p.m. Wednesday, Larimer County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a drunk driver in a stolen white Chevy pickup swerving through oncoming traffic, and a deputy engaged in pursuit. However, due to the suspect’s dangerous driving, the deputy made the decision to end the chase.

Then, around 4 p.m., Unruh reportedly crashed the white Chevy pickup on Interstate 25. After the crash, Unruh attempted to open doors of occupied vehicles on I-25, and when he was unsuccessful, he reportedly ran into a field.

A short time later, Unruh reportedly entered a residence and stole a white Jeep Wrangler. He was later spotted around 5:30 p.m. in Boulder County, where he abandoned the Wrangler and attempted to steal another car in a restaurant parking lot in Longmont while threatening patrons. He then ran into a neighborhood and stole an unlocked white Oldsmobile with its keys in the ignition, driving it through a field and damaging two fences and the vehicle.

As the suspect drove against oncoming traffic at 90 miles per hour on Highway 278 in Berthoud, a Larimer County deputy spotted the suspect, at which time multiple law enforcement agencies engaged in pursuit into Loveland City limits.

Officers laid out spike strips on the road and used Precision Immobilization Techniques, which caused the suspect to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a nearby car near South Lincoln Avenue and 8th Street SE in Loveland.

Unruh escaped from the car and ran from the scene towards a Sonic Drive-In, throwing a large knife to the ground in the process, where he was apprehended and taken into custody.

On the measures taken to stop the vehicle, Sheriff Justin Smith said that “sometimes we have no choice but to use all available options to stop a fleeing subject. Given the extreme violence being displayed by the suspect in last night’s incident, we reached the point that he had to be stopped.”

He is facing 21 charges including three counts of aggravated motor vehicle theft, three counts of reckless driving and a DUI.

Collegian reporter Stuart Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @notstuartsmith.