CSU committee considers relocating bike racks to higher-use areas across campus

CSU considered moving less-utilized bike racks to places of heavier traffic and talked about increasing signage around campus at the physical development committee meeting last Wednesday.

The committee is attempting to redistribute some bike racks around campus that are not used enough to places that could use them more for the non-stop flow of bike traffic on a school day.

According to the discussion in the committee, this does not mean that any bike racks will be removed from campus. The committee is trying to increase parking spaces for bikes.

“We’re currently in the process of trying to add more racks,” said David Hansen, University Landscape Architect and member of the group. “In the beginning of last year, we had 15,000 spaces. The goal is by next fall to have 18,000 parking spaces available via bike racks.”

Hansen said that the redistribution will make finding a place to park a bike easier when there are more racks in the more populated areas.

Campus Beautification
Outside of the Lory Student Center is a prime example of where more bike racks are needed due to high bike traffic.

Another objective for the group was to find funding for new signage of buildings along with the new stadium being built on campus.

Jessica Kramer, Landscape Architect and Environmental Graphic Designer and another member of the committee explained,

“This (meeting) was to inform the group about the need for general signage across campus, and the fact that there really isn’t a campus fund for signage,” said Jessica Kramer, a graphic designer and member of the committee.

This issue was brought up on behalf of the funding for each building and who the different buildings will be named after.

The committee also discussed policy on electric cars, potential locations for park-and-charge spaces, where to place newspaper distribution racks and locations for memorial benches.

Private shuttle drop-off locations were also considered in the meeting as well as a proposal for an art display in the Chemistry building.

The Physical Development Committee at Colorado State University is in charge of planning and carrying out policy to create landscape and architecture on campus.

The committee is made up of several department heads, deans, and other organizations that are involved in the campus community actively seeking change. Most topics discussed at committee meetings are how to make the campus more efficient.

“We present smaller projects that have some physical impact on the campus, and we try to get feedback or buy off on ideas that facilities or other groups are proposing for change,” Hansen said.

Collegian reporter Grayson Jestice can be reached at news@collegian.com.