First CSU student in 40 years named Truman Scholar

International Studies major Liz Hale is the first CSU student in 40 years to recieve the Truman Scholarship. The scholarship is 30,000 dollars and will go to her graduate degree. Photo by Ryan Arb

One Colorado State University student received the Truman Scholarship after three students were named finalists earlier this semester. 

Elizabeth Hale is a senior studying international studies and is now officially a Truman Scholar. Hale is the first CSU student to be awarded this scholarship in 40 years and said she is extremely excited about this honor.

“I feel very lucky to be able to have this opportunity. I’m really proud to represent CSU and I’m just all around very happy,” Hale said.

The scholarship grants students $15,000 for their first year of graduate study and $15,000 for their final year of graduate study at any school. The scholarship also allows the scholars to form their own internship in Washington D.C.

Hale said that she is hoping to do a Ph.D. program at Georgetown University.

“They have an Arabic and Islamic studies program, so I would like to do that with a concentration in Arabic linguistics if I can,” Hale said.

According to Hale, she is a bit apprehensive about all of the expectations that there are to live up do because of her association with this prestigious award, but she is ready to rise to the challenge. It took a lot of focus and hard work, but she encourages her fellow peers to always chase their dreams.

“I think just being very driven and very passionate and not being afraid to show that is important,” Hale said. “I was very focused during the interview on my goals and dreams. It’s just presenting yourself as a very driven person and knowing a lot about what you’re passionate about and how you want to live out that passion and achieve your dreams”

CSU Professor James Lindsay said that Hale is the perfect example of a student that is driven and passionate.

“Having Elizabeth in class has been a real joy,” Lindsay said. “Elizabeth is a clear thinker; her analytical skills are first rate. Her sophisticated written work and her insightful participation in class discussions are exemplary. She also has a great sense of humor and a genuine humility.”

According to Lindsay, many students could benefit greatly and learn from Hale.

“I am very pleased that Elizabeth will be able to serve again as an undergraduate teaching assistant for HIST 115 in fall 2016,” Lindsay said.

Andrea Williams, the director of international studies at Colorado State University agrees that Hale is an exemplary person and student and that it’s important for students interested in being considered for this scholarship to demonstrate leadership, passion and academic achievement.

“I think it’s necessary to show both depth and breadth in your knowledge and interests. Demonstrate that you’re committed academically and that you have clear scholarly goals,” Williams said. “It’s also important to make close connections with your professors (do a thesis project or independent study with them if possible), so that they can write you a strong, detailed recommendation. Working with your professors will also help you grow as a scholar and refine your research interests.”

According to Williams, Hale demonstrated all of these qualities and more.

“She loves learning and is a true scholar, but she also has fun, stays humble, and doesn’t take herself too seriously,” Williams said. “She has a great attitude toward life and its challenges. No one could be more deserving of this award. I’m so proud of her.”

Collegian Reporter Pamela Shapiro can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @pb_shapiro.