Irish President Mary Robinson to speak on climate change and social justice

English: Mary Robinson receiving the President...
Mary Robinson receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom in August 2009. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Colorado State University will host the first female President of Ireland in the Lory Center Main Ballroom Monday at 6:30 p.m.

Mary Robinson is the current United Nations Special Envoy for Climate Change and will present “Climate Justice and the Right to Health,” which will focus on a discussion about climate change and how it relates to climate justice, human rights and development.

Robinson’s work in the past has focused on finding justice for people living in poverty through means of climate change and social movements. She continues to do so in her current position as UN Special Envoy for Climate Change.

Robinson was the President of the Republic of Ireland from 1990 to 1997 and then the UN High Commissioner from 1997-2002. Currently, she operates the Mary Robinson Foundation-Climate Justice and is a member of the Elders, a collective group of world leaders founded by Nelson Mandela. Their goals are to tackle pressing conflicts globally and make the world a better place while doing so.

Robinson herself has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama, on top of many other awards. In July, she was appointed as the Special Envoy for Climate Change under UN Secretary General Ban-Ki-moon.

The event is free and open to the public, however tickets must be reserved at CSUTix.com.  Seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis and doors will open at 5:30 p.m.

Collegian Reporter Josephine Bush can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @JoBush620.