Rams will take on Buffs Sept. 1 in 85th Rocky Mountain Showdown

RM_Showdown_Logo_c1
The Rams will take on rivals, the CU Buffs, Sept. 1 at Invesco Field at Mile High for the 85th Rocky Mountain Showdown. Photo courtesy of Today@ColoState.

Rams vs. Buffs. CAM vs. Ralphie. CSU vs. CU. The Rocky Mountain Showdown.

This year’s Showdown game marks the 85th anniversary of the rivalry match-up between Colorado State University and the University of Colorado. The game is Sunday, Sept. 1 with kickoff at 4 p.m. at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver.

After falling on Saturday for the past several years, this year’s game is scheduled for a Sunday to accommodate a nationwide broadcast on CBS Sports Network, according to Paul Kirk, director of media relations for CSU athletics.

The Rams are coming off a 22-17 victory over the Buffs in last year’s showdown, and entering their second season under Coach Jim McElwain.

“I think in the second year of Coach McElwain’s tenure as head coach there is a tremendously positive feeling among the players and coaches themselves about what they believe they can accomplish this year,” Kirk said. “The off season training  and strength and conditioning program — the players have really attacked those with a lot of enthusiasm and positioned themselves to go into camp physically well trained and with a great frame of mind — something they gain a lot of confidence from.”

According to Kirk, McElwain and CSU Athletics feel it’s their job, with CU as well, to make this game be that event that everyone wants to be at.

“It’s a great part of the college experience for those who love sports,” Kirk said. “And everyone on athletics is committed to building that up and continuing to grow that fan support and provide that experience for the fans.”

Student tickets for the game are now on sale for $20 with the option of a bus trip to and from Denver for an additional $12. Individual general public tickets start at $25 per ticket and can be purchased online at www.csurams.com.

In addition to the game itself, several events are set to charge up Ram Pride leading up to the game, including a “Grill the Buffs” pep rally Aug. 29 where buffalo burgers will be served.

Alumni can participate in the Ram Rally Aug. 29 from 5-8 p.m. at LoDo’s in Denver.

“The biggest event in Denver is Ram Rally,” said Tiana Nelson, director of Denver Alumni Programs for CSU. “(It’s) basically a happy hour type event we’ve hosted every year (to) get alumni together and kick off the weekend.”

Nelson said the rally is mainly for alumni and families, but all students and CSU fans are welcome. The event will have a DJ, the CSU cheerleaders, possibly the pep band, CSU-themed drinks and decorations, CAM the Ram and Bookstore representatives selling CSU merchandise.

“It’s really just a fun, laid back atmosphere,” Nelson said. “My favorite part is we do a buffalo pinata.”

showdown featureNelson said 15 people are selected at random to take a swing at the buffalo pinata.

“We also do a buffalo wing eating contest. It’s a lot of fun,” Nelson said.

CSU faculty, staff, students, alumni and supporters are also encouraged to wear their green and gold to work and classes to show their Ram Pride during College Colors Day Fri., Aug. 30.

“College Colors Day is an annual celebration dedicated to promoting the traditions and spirit that make the college experience great by encouraging people across America to wear apparel of their favorite college or university throughout the day,” a news release from the University stated.

“I think that the CSU-CU game is incredibly important to the spirit of the University,” Nelson said. “It’s something that really brings our alumni together — alumni and students — all of our CSU fans. It’s something we can all come together around and support our University.”

For a full list of events visit http://www.colostate.edu/rockymountainshowdown/.

Editor in Chief Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.