Snow day turns LSC West Lawn into winter wonderland

SnowIgloo 2The LSC West Lawn makes for a decent terrain park in a pinch.

CSU students received the 11:48 a.m. text from the CSU Public Safety Team telling them classes were cancelled and immediately snow-suited up.

“We all got the text and immediately we all just congregated to my house, there were about 10 of us who were like ‘let’s hit this,'” economics major Benjamin Schneider said.

Schneider and his friends hauled a rail from his backyard and set it up at the base of the amphitheater hill between the West Lawn and CSU Campus Recreation Center.

Other groups had also set up a big ramp and a smaller ramp as well to give more people an opportunity to hit the jumps.

Most people simply fell over after going off the jump, but Schneider landed a backflip with a 180 degree twist.

“It’s a rodeo if it was on a bigger stage,” he said. “Here it’s just a backflip-180.”

It wasn’t the first rodeo for freshman health and exercise science major Kaleigh Hulett and her friends.

They set up a smaller jump close to the Lory Student Center construction fence.

The group had previously been out Monday and earlier when it snowed earlier in February.

“There was even more snow today so we keep coming back,” Hulett said. “It’s colder today, on Monday there were better jumps on the other hill.”

Some students opted for comfort over excitement. Kaitlyn Purdy, a freshman human development and family studies major, and her friends met on the field closest to Meridian Avenue and built an igloo.

They spent three hours building it and tentatively planned on spending the night in the igloo if it didn’t get too cold out.

“We sent a group text and decided we were all going to have fun in the snow,” Purdy said. “School got cancelled. You’ve got to do something sick in the snow.”

Sports Editor Kyle Grabowski (@kylegrbwsk) can be reached at sports@collegian.com.